The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter

The Crucifix Killer (2009)

by Chris Carter

Recently added byRena37, EkiTeebi

English (17)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All (21)
I am still amazed that I never heard of this author until recently. Leave it to your local librarian to make suggestions that are on target! This is the first book by this author in what is now a series starring Homicide Detective Robert Hunter. In this first book, people are being killed in a manner that makes each one suffer unbearably before they are finally killed. It is up to Hunter and his new partner to try to figure out how these deaths are connected and who is responsible for their deaths. We find out along the way why Hunter is alone, what happens when he takes a chance on having a relationship and what happened to his last partner. The action never ceases in this difficult to put down book. I am about to start the second book in this series soon, which says it all. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Mar 30, 2018 |
Admitely, I've debating with myself whether to give this book 2 or 3 stars. In a 0-10 system, I'd probably go with 2,5.

And at the end I decided to adhere to GR's definition of the rating. 2 stars means the book is Ok, and I guess it is.

It was too full of clichés, though, like watching one of those cop movies from the 80-90's. It felt outdated, in a way.

I may understand other people enjoying it, no judgement here. It just wasn't for me. ( )
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
Detective Robert Hunter and his new rookie partner, Carlos Garcia, are on the trail of a vicious and sadistic killer after finding the body of a young woman tied to wooden posts, naked and with the skin removed from her face. Her neck has a familiar carving, that of a double cross symbol which was the signature of a serial killer known as the Crucifix Killer. However, two years earlier the Crucifix Killer was apprehended and killed after committing seven other murders. Since the double cross was never made public, Hunter, who never believed they had captured the true killer, believes the new murders were made by the original killer and not a copycat.

The opening chapter is absolutely riveting and made me eager to find out how it could have happened. The characters were very well written and believable for the most part. I enjoyed Hunter's backstory and his relationship with his new partner. This was an outstanding thriller, especially given that it was the author's debut novel. It's not for the squeamish but if you enjoy the more gritty suspense novels, this is definitely one of the best I've read all year.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Absolutely, amazingly, twisted and gruesome! I loved it! ( )
  LindyCrichtonBez5605 | Mar 23, 2017 |
This was an excellent start to a new series. There was a strong psychological element to this book and to profiling a serial killer in general. Whilst the killings were very gritty this wasn't forefront to the book, so did not spoil any enjoyment of the book. I found the lead character very interesting. Whilst part of the story I had worked out there were a few twists and surprises along the way. This was an excellent book and I can't wait to continue with the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Nov 6, 2016 |

A terrifying serial thriller guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat. It combines taut plotting with nail-biting suspense of Kathy Reichs and a psychopath even more terrifying than Hannibal Lecter. Not for the faint-hearted, this page-turner introduces a brilliant new writer on the scene.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,603,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible