The Witch's Guide to Cooking with…

The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children

by Keith McGowan

The Witch's Curse (Christy Ottaviano Books) by Keith McGowan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Sequel to The Witch's Guide: Sol and Connie adventure based on the Brothers Grimm folktale Brother and Sister.
    A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz (kaledrina)

English (14)  German (1)  All (15)
A retelling of Hansel and Gretel, set in the 21st century. Sol and Connie Blink move to a new town. Their father and step mother picked this particular town because their research showed that it was the home of Faye Holaderry. Faye is the original witch from Hansel and Gretel. Yes, H&G failed to kill her. The world has grown around her and she has developed new, modern, means of finding children to eat. Mr Blink attempts to lose Sol and Connie in their new town. He doesn't know that prior to moving Sol took the time to print maps of their new town off the internet. Sol and Connie are intelligent, creative and resourceful. They discover who their new neighbor Faye Holaderry really is and they take her on in her own house.
This was a fun, quick read. I love that the book cover is the same red and white check print as the cookbook that my mother used when I was younger. (Betty Crocker? Good Housekeeping? - I can't remember) Recommended.
E ( )
  VioletBramble | Mar 12, 2017 |
Narrated by Laural Merlington. This retelling of Hansel and Gretel combines fairy tale, fantasy and modern-day elements. Sol and Connie are newly arrived in the neighborhood where old Fay Holaderry lives. Unbeknownst to Sol and Connie, their father (actually their scheming uncle and father's twin) and stepmother moved to the area because they heard there was a witch who ate children and it would be a very convenient way to get rid of the kids. Sol suspects something amiss about Ms Holaderry and her dog and through internet research at the library and sneaking into her house, Sol and Connie figure out who she really is. When they make their escape from Ms Holaderry, Sol and Connie set off from home to seek a relative who might take them in. Reader Merlington sets a light tone for this lively and amusing retelling. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A tasty modern retelling of "Hansel and Gretel" with the witch employing some unique methods of luting children. Entertainingly macabre in the spirit of Roald Dahl. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book! For those of you who like the story of Hansel and Gretel, you will love this new spin on it.
The witch, Fay Holaderry has adapted her lifestyle to the present time, living like any elderly person in any community. But, looks can be deceiving.

Sol and Connie Blink have just moved to Grand Creek. They have a lovely set of parents who don't really seem to care about them. The reasons, and there are many, become clear as you read the book. Sol is a science nerd. His younger sister Connie loves animals and loves and admires her brother. Sol has a difficult time believing in himself after a terrible incident in the town they have just moved from.

Both Sol and Connie must learn to trust each other if they are to survive what their parents, Ms. Holaderry and many others in the town have set up for them. This story's themes of perseverance, trust and relying on family run all through this story. I can't wait for the first day of school to begin so that I can recommend this book to my new students. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jun 29, 2013 |
I still find the title hilarious, but the book was a smidge too Lemony Snicket for me. I'm willing to give the next installment a try though. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |

Keith McGowanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huard, AlexandraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanaka, YokoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I love children. Eating them, that is.

I love children. Eating them, that is. So begins this laugh-out-loud adventure in which a misunderstood genius brother and a tricky younger sister go up against a brilliant witch who dines on children--sometimes with candles lit and fine wine, other times snacking from a plate in the glow of primetime TV. Called "funny and subversive" by USA Today and "a literary treat" by The New Yorker, this story blends humor and adventure, adds sibling arguments while mixing well, seasons with riddles, and goes down in a single, surprising gulp.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

Eleven-year-old inventor Sol must recover his self-confidence if he and his eight-year-old sister, Connie, are to escape the clutches of Hansel and Gretel's witch, to whom they have been led by their new stepmother and the man they believe to be their father.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,620,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible