Mama Zooms by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

Mama Zooms

by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

This is a sweet story about a boy spending his days with his mom, zooming here to there, playing make-believe the whole way. When she zooms him down the smooth sidewalk, she his race car, and when she zooms across the lawn, she's his race car. The illustrations focus on him and his mom rather than the wheelchair, which shows us how the disability is not bringing her down, but her son sees it as her superpower. I think that this would be very good to share to a class by showing that our parents are all different, but a disability doesn't hold you back. ( )
  Nattamari | Nov 11, 2018 |
The illustrations of this book amazed me very much. The less obviousness of the disability made me happy that although the mother needed a wheelchair it was not seen as her identity and the first mentioned character trait. Readers are allowed to view her as only a mom first just as she should be seen, a mom playing with her son like any other mother. I love the close-up pictures that allow me to see the happy emotions and positive attitude of all the characters. I love that her wheelchair becomes fun and a pretend to play place for her child, that they use their imagination for her to be a racehorse, boat, race car, airplane, etc. The illustration of outfit changes and that she can have fun too made me so happy. Kids seeing the use of the ramp and getting cued into accommodations and becoming knowledgeable about ramps was an important factor in this book. The mom is then seen as strong and I think this was a great addition that on top of physical but mental strength is above and beyond for people in wheelchairs. Many people view them as weak and dependent, although, the mom is seen as independent and strong. I love that this book also discusses that needing help and support is also okay. The ending explaining how at the end of the day she is still just my mom gave me a warm heart and loving bond seen in the characters. I love that the disability was not an overpowering focus of the book and that we readers can still interpret their personalities. ( )
  mprochnow | Nov 6, 2018 |
This book was amazing! The way Mama is storing, capable and willing had me in tears. I know someone who uses a wheelchair and their attitude differs greatly from Mama's. This person is pessimistic and has no motivation to move on. For example, Mama does everything that she wants, with the help of her wheelchair. Her strength is shown through the things she does with her family and how she feels about it. She always has a smile on her face and is eager to live her life. ( )
  Gabrielle21 | Oct 31, 2018 |
Summary: This book is about a little boy who imagines his mom's wheelchair is many different things. He imagines that her wheelchair is a rocket ship or a boat. In the end, he says that she is just his mama!
Opinion: This book is great. It paints disability in a positive light by talking about how his mom's wheelchair can be fun. Very helpful for kids. ( )
  KelseyGwozdz | Oct 14, 2018 |
This book is a very sweet story for a little child. It was a simply story about a little boy and his mama that is in a wheelchair, or "zooming machine." The little boy is telling about his adventures zooming around like a train or a ship but the end is my favorite part. The book ends with "Mama zooms me right up until bedtime. Then Mama is just my mama, and that's how I like her best." The pictures are older but still a sweet story. ( )
  JaJennings | Aug 28, 2018 |

A small boy, with the aid of his energetic mother, her wheelchair ""zooming machine,"" and a bit of imagination, pretends that he is on a train, a spaceship, and more. Reprint. PW. SLJ.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

A boy's wonderful mama takes him zooming everywhere with her, because her wheelchair is a zooming machine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,590,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible