How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less…

How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less (2010)

by Sarah Glidden

Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City by Guy Delisle (lorax)
    lorax: As "graphic novels about visiting Israel" the connection is obvious, but the benefits of reading both do go beyond that. Delisle's stay is considerably longer, but he sees less of the country, and more day-to-day life; Glidden's on a highly managed trip where she sees more of the tourist sites, but none of the settlements (where Delisle spends much of his time). They complement each other well.… (more)
    Siberiak: My Cold War Adventure on the River Ob by Jenny Jaeckel (cransell)

This graphic novel follows one woman’s travels with a tour group through Israel in 2007. I thought the subject matter was fascinating, but the negative and combative attitude of the author (and main character) was exhausting. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 29, 2018 |
An interesting peak on the other side makes you rethink that the situation is not as simple as we tend to think it is ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
This book really enhances Knowledge of Israel. this book outlines problems in Israel and information about policies. This book gives people an opportunity to form unbiased opinions of Israel. ( )
  jtocain | Oct 30, 2016 |
A Birthright trip is an all-expenses paid trip to Israel for those who have a Jewish ancestor, and my understanding is that such trips are intended to make Americans of Jewish background more "friendly" to Israel.

This book, a graphic memoir, gave me a good understanding of what a Birthright trip is like. It conveys a brief sense of the problems faced by Israel, including the issue of its Palestinian population, but overall its consideration of the issues is rather superficial, possibly because a Birthright trip by its very conception will be somewhat one-sided in outlook. (Also because of its graphic memoir format I did not expect the book to delve too deeply into the difficult issues in the Mideast.) I recommend the book as a personal depiction of the Birthright experience, but not as a serious piece of journalism on Israel.

3 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 8, 2016 |
It's complicated. ( )
  Gimley_Farb | Jul 6, 2015 |
Hmm... Should I just leave these behind then?

"Glidden, a progressive American Jew who is sharply critical of Israeli policies vis-á-vis the Occupied Territories, went on an all-expense-paid 'birthright' trip to Israel in an attempt to discover some grand truths at the heart of the Arab-Israeli conflict. This graphic memoir tells the touching and often funny story of her utter failure to do so."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,445,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible