Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

by Megan McCafferty

1,349385,707 (4)8

First read in 2004 ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
How can you not love reading the hidden thoughts of another person? I must be extremely nosy because the thought of reading someone else’s journal just makes me excited beyond words. I guess what makes this so appealing is just the chance that perhaps there is someone else out there who can relate to you. At times Jessica Darling is that person for me. I understand her difficulty finding her place and I can remember so well her college dilemma. I first read this novel when I was a tad younger than Jessica and at that time I loved the story because it seemed so scandalous and exciting to me. Reading it now I still find it slightly scandalous however, I see a different side to Jessica. I guess the reason why is because now I have been through these types of situations myself.

I kind of feel like this is the “Alice” series for the girls who have grown out of Alice. Reading the pages makes you feel as if you have just discovered a new friend and you can’t help but want travel along with her as she makes her place in the world. Since it is in journal format there is a bias to everything and not every character is incredibly developed, but for me that is okay. The story isn’t really about everyone else anyway. My only issue with Jessica is that she seems so wishy-washy in her morals. As someone who is very opinionated and very decided with where I stand, I sometimes find that quality slightly obnoxious. However, she is still very young so I’m sure that plays a large role.

Overall, I thought this book was a great read and now I’m off to read “Charming Thirds.”
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
After a gazillion squeals and shrieks, I am very happy with this book. It ended just like I wanted it to. No, it was even better. It was so good I am afraid of reading the next three in fear that it gets shitty. Cause this one was so awesome. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Not as good as the first, but still a fun read. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Originally read in September 2010. I love when the second book is as good as the first. I love how Jessica is exploring new options with her life and future - it makes me so excited you'd think it was my own life! The writing style is still incredibly honest and raw and wonderful. It really captures the end of high school, with all the changes, everything you're experiencing "for the last time" and leaving behind, all the possibilities that are waiting for you. I definitely shed a few tears towards the end of this book. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |

“Knowing that I’ve just done something that will take decades off my parents’ lives with worry, you’ll excuse me for not getting into the fa-la-la-la-la Yuletide spirit this year. . . . The only difference between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2000 is that I don’t have a visit from Hope to look forward to. And Bethany has already packed on some major fetal flab. Oh, and now Gladdie doesn’t need to ask a bizillion questions about my boyfriend, because she’s already gotten the dirt from you know who.”

Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.

With keen intelligence, sardonic wit, and ingenious comedic timing, Megan McCafferty again re-creates the tumultuous world of today’s fast-moving and sophisticated teens. Fans of Sloppy Firsts will be reunited with their favorite characters and also introduced to the fresh new faces that have entered Jess’s life, including the hot creative writing teacher at her summer college prep program and her feisty, tell-it-like-it-is grandmother Gladdie. But most of all, readers will finally have the answers to all of their burgeoning questions, and then some: Will Jessica crack under the pressure of senioritis? Will her unresolved feelings for Marcus wreak havoc on her love life? Will Hope ever come back to Pineville? Fall in love with saucy, irreverent Jessica all over again in this wonderful sequel to a book that critics and readers alike hailed as the best high school novel in years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to "Sloppy First." This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in anther state, and she can't seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica's parents won't get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany's pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,543,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible