The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny

The Brutal Telling (2009)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (5)

Recently added byYammie, private library, BeckyJP, dahliapetunia, KriRand70, Critterbee, judyallbee, Jdubbs, NormalR

English (210)  French (1)  All (211)
Another excellent mystery in Penny's Gamache series. Gamache's thoughtful understanding of human emotions, his humility and appetite for knowledge, Lacoste's intuitive and sensitive connection to those being investigated and questioned play counterpoint to Jean Guy Beauvoir's arrogance, condescension controlled by natural smarts, and love of his mentor, Gamache. This wonderful combination creates a rich, gratifying foundation for this series.

Impeccable timing, smart characters with story lines of their own, a strong plot based in history, art, literature, politics and set in Canada's natural wild beauty and you get a winner.

I was surprised Penny chose to take this direction. I wondered if it would/could happen in Three Pines; and I'm glad she's shown she is not afraid of going off the beaten path and getting lost in the woods.
  Bookish59 | Apr 16, 2018 |
Even if you're not into mysteries, give Louise Penny a try. She writes great characters and scenes. Make sure you start with the first book, though. It is called Still Life. ( )
  LynneCatherine | Mar 21, 2018 |
A second disappointing book in the Gamache series which started so well. This one is Louise Penny meets Dan Brown, with a large emphasis on (pointless) cryptic messages. There is, again, too much time spent on people's unbelievably reflective innermost thoughts, expressed in over-the-top terms. Much of the time the plot dragged. And I hated the ending; almost threw the book against the wall. There were just enough moments of Penny's good writing to keep me plugging along, and since I already own the next book in the series I will read it, but I think it is set away from Three Pines and a good thing for all concerned, including the residents of Three Pines! ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
This author has a calm cool twist - every time. I can never say "There it is, that's the twist!" Thus I enjoy her mysteries. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I was totally committed to finishing it at about page 300. Maybe I read it too fast? I was unsatisfied with the ending. I loved the scene where Rosa the duck flies away and Ruth's reaction. I didn't understand the fact that Conscience is the terrible thing that takes everyone down. I also don't believe Olivier killed the Hermit. The story just had a few too many unbelievable parts. Maybe if I sleep on it, it will become clear. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Feb 9, 2018 |
While constant readers may think they know all there is to know about its eccentric villagers, Penny is a great one for springing surprises.

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bania, ChrysaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the SPCA Monteregie, and all the people who would "ring the bells of Heaven." And for Maggie, who finally gave all her heart away.
"All of them? even the children?"
There was silence then. And in that hush lived all the things that could be worse than slaughter. (p1)

When C.I. Gamache is called to investigate a murder in picturesque Three Pines, he finds a village in chaos. A man has been found, bludgeoned to death, and there is no sign of a weapon, a motive or even the dead man's name.

Gammache and his colleagues, Inspector Beauvoir and Agent Isabelle Lacoste, start to dig under the skin of this peaceful haven for clues. They slowly uncover a trail of stolen treasure, mysterious codes and a shameful history that begins to shed light on the victim's identity - and point to a terrifying killer.

Chaos is coming, old son.

With those words the peace of Three Pines is shattered. As families prepare to head back to the city and children say goodbye to summer, a stranger is found murdered in the village bistro and antiques store. Once again, Chief Inspector Gamache and his team are called in to strip back layers of lies, exposing both treasures and rancid secrets buried in the wilderness.

No one admits to knowing the murdered man, but as secrets are revealed, chaos begins to close in on the beloved bistro owner, Olivier. How did he make such a spectacular success of his business? What past did he leave behind and why has he buried himself in this tiny village? And why does every lead in the investigation find its way back to him?

As Olivier grows more frantic, a trail of clues and treasures— from first editions of Charlotte’s Web and Jane Eyre to a spider web with the word “WOE” woven in it—lead the Chief Inspector deep into the woods and across the continent in search of the truth, and finally back to Three Pines as the little village braces for the truth and the final, brutal telling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:10 -0400)

A stranger is found murdered in the village bistro and antiques store and all clues point to bistro owner Olivier being the killer. Once again, Chief Inspector Gamache and his team are called in to strip back layers of lies, exposing both treasures and rancid secrets long buried--but not forgotten.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Louise Penny's book The Brutal Telling was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,604,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible