The Oracle at Stoneleigh Court : Stories by…

The Oracle at Stoneleigh Court : Stories (1986)

by Peter Taylor

You know, I'm about 3 pages before the end, but I'm just going to say I've finished. It was a free book, one that you can pick up from a physical lending site (not a library), so I'll release it into the wild soon.

It's not that good. The writing style is dry, the efforts at Taylor's imagination fall flat (I know the Tarot, and I had only a vague idea about which cards and what tale he was trying to tell with his first tale), and the plot seems to be centered around Taylor as a young man at a point in time, who sees a mysterious woman and . . . not much happens in the way of the plot.

He may have received some prizes for his writing, but I was not one of the judges awarding said prize. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067941990X, Hardcover)

An eclectic collection of fiction by the author of A Summons to Memphis includes a novella, ten stories, and three one-act plays that evoke the spirit of the South and its people. 27,500 first printing. $30,000 ad/promo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

From the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of A Summons to Memphis, here is a haunting new collection of stories that examine lost love, retribution, second chances, human perversities ... and ghosts. Peter Taylor draws us again into a world that he has made distinctively his own in his fiction, the comfortable society of affluent Tennesseeans - men and women of good character, with a sense of family, of style, and an awareness of the past that has shaped them. Yet for all. Their rootedness, other forces - often alien - intervene to change the course of fate in these entrancing, often chilling tales. In the long title story, we see the widow of a Tennessee congressman, long established in Washington, D.C., making ruthless use of her unearthly powers to play matchmaker for her shy young nephew. In "Demons," a young boy hears voices that others do not (and which foretell his cousin's ruin). "The Witch of Owl Mountain Springs" is an aged. Spinster who carries out her revenge on the man who betrayed her when she was young and beautiful. In "An Overwhelming Question," a young engaged couple get too caught up in a game of cat and mouse over whether or not to remain chaste before their honeymoon. A reserved young man undergoes a mysterious change of personality after he accompanies the body of his uncle on a funeral train (a story that forms part of Peter Taylor's forthcoming novel about Cousin Aubrey). In. Another story, told as a one-act play, a brother and sister are visited by the ghost of their father - but it is a very different ghost each one sees. Who is the real one? These and other dark questions surface and alter our consciousness in this rare and marvelous collection by a master teller of tales.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible