Leviathan: The unauthorised biography of…

Leviathan: The unauthorised biography of Sydney

by John Birmingham

A monster of a book, "Leviathan" takes a bit of a scattergun approach to the history of Sydney, including sections on important moments like the Rum Rebellion and the convict era but missing others in favour of perhaps not quite so important sections on corpse ratting and the like.

Birmingham's style of writing can eventually grate but "Leviathan" is a good read that will remind you of Sydney's lurid past. And, yes, I had never heard of corpse ratting until I read the book and I'm not sure if I want to know about it now. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Aug 29, 2017 |
An interesting look at the connection between crime and politics which has been part of the fabric of society since the arrival in Sydney of the first convicts.
I feel the essence of larrikanism in John Birmingham's writing and this book contains many humerous moments while providing a very informative history. ( )
  TheWasp | Apr 24, 2015 |
Very well-written history book; a shame it never came out in the US or UK. The author is currently working on a new edition, according to his blog. ( )
  bsackerman | Mar 29, 2009 |
This book provides an interesting insight into the dark depths of the history of Sydney. Who knew such a young city could have such a colourful history of corruption and crime. ( )
  joyfulgirl | Jan 19, 2009 |

Combining intensive research with the pace of a technothriller, a rich portrait of a city too dazzled by its own gorgeous reflection to care much for what lies at its dark, corrupted heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,305,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible