Moominpappa's Memoirs

by Tove Jansson

Series: Moomintrolls (4)

1,2672014,942 (4.13)18
When stricken with a severe cold, Moominpappa decides to set down an account of his eventful youth, which he shares chapter by chapter with Moomintroll, Sniff, and Snufkin.

English (16)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (20)
Written in the style of a male adventurer's memoir this is an entertaining account of Moominpappas younger days in a foundling house and seeking his fortune elsewhere before settling in Moominvalley. He writes in a comical self-important way and we get some interesting and nonsensical back story. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Feb 18, 2024 |
A little confused about this short book which is one of the Moomin stories that I didn't read as a child - but I think it was subsequently revised and published as Moominpapa's Memoirs? Anyway, I liked it in parts. Moominpapa, having reached the age of 40, and suffering from a cold, writes his memoirs for the edification of his family and friends. During the book, there are asides where we get the reactions of his son Moomintroll and his son's friends to whom he is reading each bit of the story. By the end of the book, a few mysteries are solved.

There are some places where I found it to drag a bit - I didn't find the ghost particularly funny, for example. The ending also makes no sense because why haven't certain characters' parents raised them if they are alive and well? And what happened to Hodgkins who was my favourite of the new characters introduced - I don't recall him being in any of the ones I've read? On the plus side, I loved the illustrations as always. So on balance, I rate this at 3 stars. ( )
  kitsune_reader | Nov 23, 2023 |
3.5 Stars ( )
  moonlit.shelves | Jul 10, 2023 |
A humorous prequel in which Moominpappa reads his memoirs to Moomintroll, Snufkin and Sniff, introducing lots of characters who stick around for future adventures.
I particularly liked the Horriblest Ghost, who Jansson skilfully makes both morbidly gruesome and amusingly pompous. 👻
Great fun 😊 ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Jul 21, 2021 |
Completely mad, utterly delightful. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |

Jansson, Toveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, LailaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerran kun Muumipeikko oli aivan pieni, hänen isänsä otti ja vilustui keskellä kuuminta kesää.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Current Discussions

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140303235, 0141328649

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,025,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible