Good Boy, Fergus! by David Shannon

Good Boy, Fergus!

by David Shannon

I have never owned a dog, this book takes you through the day in the life of someone who has a dog. This is a realistic fiction book. Fergus' owner asks him if he wants to go for a walk in the morning. Fergus really likes to do the opposite of what his owner tells him. For example, he gets served his dinner but won't eat it until his owner puts whipped cream on it. ( )
  karleesampson | Apr 20, 2015 |
In this book you get to see what having a dog is like. In the book it takes you through a whole day with someone who owns a dog and what they have to do with the dog throughout their day.

I like this book because the illustrations are big and bold throughout the whole book like when the dog sees a cat and the dogs image can not even fit on the page. Another reason I like this book is that is shows you what you have to go through when you own a dog, such as in the book where the owner gives the dog a bath and telling the dog its time for a walk so he can go to the bathroom. Overall I like this book because it gives a detailed description of what you go through when you own a dog. ( )
  bwinte3 | Apr 3, 2015 |
Summary: Good Boy Fergus is a story about a dog and his owner. In the beginning of the book Fergus’ owner begins the day by asking if Fergus wants to go for a walk. Fergus is really excited and as his owner says get ready, set, there is a big caption of the word CAT illustrated on the page while Fergus darts out the door. Throughout the story, Fergus shows readers how independent he is by doing the opposite of what his owner says. At the end of the book as Fergus is getting served his dinner, again he shows how independent he is by not eating until his owner sprays whip cream all over the food.

Personal Reaction: I really liked this contemporary fiction picture book because it illustrated the realism, stubbornness, and sometimes disobedient of animals. David Shannon uses cartoon art in this book like he does in many of his other books. This story reminds me of how my youngest son tries to boss our Bichon Frise’ dog named Princess around. When Fergus’ owner called the dog by his first and last name for not obeying it is similar to my son. When my son is tired of Princess disobeying him, he says in his stern, 8-year old voice, “Princess, go to your room!” Then Princess tucks her tail in between her legs and goes to her room.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) The class can make chocolate chip cookie dough shaped dog bones to use as a cooking project to go along with this story. 2.) Students can make individual dog houses out of shoe boxes and other materials of their choice. 3.) Students make individual dogs using crafts found around the classroom. Students are encouraged to use their imagination when creating their dog. After the completion of the dogs, a neighboring class is invited to watch as the children puton a dog show like the Westminster Dog Show. ( )
  YolandaFelton | Mar 26, 2015 |
Summary
Good Boy Fergus was a story about a little white dog. It is a happy dog that is smart when he wants to be. He really likes to play outside. The book is mainly about what a day looks like for Fergus the dog.
Personal reaction
I think the book is really cute and it reminds me a lot about my white dog. She doesn't listen to me either and likes to run all over the place. The book was really cute and I enjoyed the illustrations.
Classroom extension
1. Have the students talk about their pet they have. They can tell a story about an adventure they had with their pet or one they would like to have with their pet.
2. You could have the students create a story of their own about a crazy animal and it just doesn't have to be dog. It could be some crazy animal like a lion or a giraffe.
  Kim_Riedmann12 | Mar 25, 2015 |
The first thing that I noticed about this book was that the illustrations practically jump out at you, which was a fun first impression. The book was about a mischievous dog named Fergus, who never listens to his owner. It was an easy read for beginners, with fun illustrations and a silly nature. I liked that you could see change in tone of voice in the beginning of the story, shows whoever is calling the dog is impatient: “FERGUS MACLAGGAN! (in red lettering) YOU COME HERE RIGHT NOW! Please, Ferg. Come on.”
One of the pages shows the owner commanding the dog to sit (lays down) roll over (sits) to exemplify that the dog will never do what it’s told. What is interesting however, is the owner does not always get angry at the dog, and usually replies “Good Boy, Fergus!” The author uses a tone that is light and silly, like when the owner is scratching the dog’s belly and says “Mister itchy bobo scratchitty man! Does that feel good?” The owner also pours whipped cream on Fergus’s food at one point just so he eats it. The dog also begs from the table and the owner tells him, to stop begging, but gives in and gives him table food anyway.
I like all of Davis Shannon books because they give off that nobody’s perfect and that everyone, even dogs, misbehave. I think kids love when they are read silly books that aren’t that educational, because it’s a fun way to introduce reading as something that is more trivial that informative or educational. ( )
  tmalon4 | Mar 1, 2015 |

Meet Fergus, the canine star of the upcoming book from Caldecott Honor artist David Shannon. Much like Shannon's beloved characters, David and Alice, the adorable Fergus is always getting in trouble!

Follow Fergus as he experiences the perfect doggy day--well, except for his bath, of course! From chasing cats and motorcycles to being scratched on his favorite "tickle spot," David Shannon's newest sweet and silly character will inspire young readers to laugh out loud at his mischievous antics. Fans of Shannon's previous books will love reading all about this naughty but lovable dog!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:04 -0400)

Except for his bath, Fergus experiences the perfect doggy day, from chasing cats and motorcycles to being scratched on his favorite tickle spot.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,791,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible