dismiss

What Remains of Heaven

by C. S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries (5)

Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, investigates the identity of two corpses found in an ancient crypt with possible ties to William Franklin, the embittered son of American patriot Ben Franklin.

The Library Overdrive summary:
Sebastian St. Cyr's search for the killer of the controversial Bishop of London leads him from the back alleys of Smithfield to the power corridors of Whitehall to the well-guarded secrets of his own family's past.

I found this continuing saga of Sebastian's involvement in solving murders as engaging as ever. That his participation in solving crimes which reach into the aristocracy is a creative theme in Harris' St. Cyr mysteries. This particular book was a wonderful development in the complex relationship between Hero Jarvis and Sebastian. Both Hero and her mother are wonderfully drawn individuals. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Aug 3, 2020 |
738 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Better and better I think.

No matter my reading mood, these keep me reading. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Book 5 in the series and Harris continues to provide an atmospheric story of murder, treachery and family secrets. Not the strongest story in the series. In fact, I found the mystery to be a bit on the weak, humdrum side. Still a decent enough mystery but I would say it is the relationship dynamics of the regular characters that kept my interest. Harris still gives the reader suspenseful moments (Sebastian really does have more lives than a cat) and continues to develop the characters, given us a glimpse into Hero, beneath her armour surface. The verbal sparing (and some interesting side-stepping) between Sebastian and Hero continues in full force and is my favorite part of the story. They are such a perfect match, if only they would see that. *sighs* As for family secrets, well, those just keep on popping up to the point where even I was left reeling with the latest revelation. It is no wonder Sebastian and the Earl of Hendon's relationship is a guarded one... Sebastian never knows when Hendon is telling the truth! Thank goodness for Sebastian's Aunt Henrietta, the Dowager Duchess of Claiborne and the St. Cyr family matriarch. A woman who knows all of society's gossip and is not afraid to speak her mind.

As you have probably guessed, I continue to get a lot of enjoyment out of this series. ( )
  lkernagh | Apr 18, 2020 |
This one has Devlin solving a murder of a Bishop at the request of his aunt. The Bishop is found dead in a recently opened crypt and nearby is the body of his long lost missing brother also murdered but seemed to have been overlooked when the crypt was sealed many years ago. Hero is involved with this case as well as it turns out she had had several meetings with the Bishop in the weeks before his death. This is another great book in the series I really have been enjoying them. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |

Sigal, ElkeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

ONE murder makes a Villain,
MILLIONS a Hero: Princes are privileged
To kill, and numbers sanctify the crime.
Ah! Why will Kings forget that they are men?
And men that they are brethren? Why delight
In HUMAN SACRIFICE? Why burst the tie
Of Nature, that should knit their souls together
In one soft bond of amity and love?
They yet still breathe destruction, still go on,
Inhumanly ingenious, to find out
New pain for life, new terrors for the grave,
Artificers of death! Still Monarchs dream
Of universal empire, growing up
From universal ruin. Blast the design
Great God of Hosts, nor let thy creatures fall
Unpitied Victims at Ambition's shrine!

--From "Death: A Poetical Essay," by Dr. Beilby Porteous;
Bishop of London 1789-1809,
The Cambridge Intelligencer (September 14, 1793)
For my daughters,
Samantha and Danielle
TANFIELD HILL, TUESDAY, 7 JULY 1812

His breath coming in undignified gasps, the Reverend Malcolm Earnshaw abandoned the village high street and struck out through the lanky grass of the churchyard.
That seems to have been a common sentiment.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,184,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible