Back to Eden : A Book on Herbal Remedies for…

Back to Eden : A Book on Herbal Remedies for Disease, and Other Natural… (1939)

by Jethro Kloss

Healing herbs, barks, leaves, rootsHerbs for specific ailmentsPreventitive and curative treatmentsMassage for pleasure and healthWater treatmentsFasting for healthHealth foodsTested recipesFruit dietsVegetarian dietsFood juices for specific purposes
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
(Also posted on my site The Paperback Stash)

Jethro Kloss was a true healer and crusader for nutrition, personal rights, freedoms, and herbalism. This huge book was his biggest work and deserves to be celebrated for what it is: a lifetime gathering of intense study and dedication to the good of man. And why, yes, I DO live to sound dramatic.

He discusses everything he can think of here. While some of his viewpoints and procedures are now frowned upon - and a few of the herbal remedies taken to the degree he suggests are now believed to be dangerous - the large bulk of his remedies and procedures are still regarded as safe and, in some circles, preferable to things available in modern medicine and society.

Everything from his personal life and influences, to farming techniques, crops, growing fruits and vegetables, an extensive listing of fruits, veggies, minerals, vitamins, the history of herbal medicine, herbs, their uses, the body system, the health benefits of water, fish, fresh air, exercise, sleep patterns, oatmeal, fiber, breads, salts, milk, etc is included here. He even gives his favorite baking recipes, natural ways to make breads, cakes, soups and more, as well as hints on preserving vitamins, cooking utensils to avoid and use, not to mention desserts and beverages.

One really fascinating thing about this book is the large section devoted to water and hydrotherapy. Here we get a rundown of the history of the water cure, various ways to use water to treat - from saunas to foreign bath treatments - temperatures to use when a person is ill to fit their condition, and much much more. Excellent!

This massive bible of sorts ends with various enemas and their purposes, charcoal, guides for people wanting to be a nurse, and different massage techniques. You couldn't ask for much more in one volume. Sure, a little of it is outdated but most of it stands true today and shall forever. The man is to respected, and his remedies and treatments are invaluable.

Many of his formula is similar or almost identical to the great Dr. John R Christophers, another pioneer of herbal medicine, the modern Dr. Schulz who has a following of his own, and several other herbalists, naturopaths, massage therapists, hydrotherapists, and nutritionists.

And, even more incredibly, it's under 10 bucks to own - amazing considering its offering.

Buy it? Of course! Why wouldn't you? ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This is a reprint of an older edition. There are many forgotten things to learn about our bodies and their response to plain and simple methods, and foods, and a few things that may be unusual by today's standards. We need more books like this to help us get back in touch with the simple remedies and good diets to make our bodies healthier. ( )
  Sundownr | Jan 26, 2011 |
A crazy man wrote a crazy book, but the tea for cystitis makes it worth it. ( )
  Morddel | Nov 2, 2009 |
In 1985, "Back to Eden," Jethro Kloss' compilation of his life's work in healing and natural remedies, had sold three million copies, and been translated into hundreds of languages. Today those numbers are probably much higher, as the acceptance of the things Kloss learned through his own studies and experimentation have gained wider ground, worldwide. No longer is someone "weird" if they are vegan, or use herbs, or drink lemon juice for a fever. Kloss pioneered the natural foods movement. I believe his influence was greater than that of John Harvey Kellogg. Kloss ran two or three food-making facilities in his life. Assisted in autopsies to further his understanding of the body, and its diseases, and CURED cancer (testimonials found in the book). When he wrote to the US Government and offered to share what he had learned about curing cancer in persons who had NOT been irradiated, he was ignored! Nothing much has changed. At least now you can buy health foods & supplements in most every grocery. We who believe in this medicine, see that we have a long way to go toward acceptance. ( )
  J_Starling | Jan 28, 2009 |
During my long years of experience along medical lines, I have worked out things that are of value to the human family.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0940985101, Mass Market Paperback)

Now in its expanded, updated revised edition, this is the original classic text (with more than 5-million copies sold) that helped create the natural foods industry. It remains today one of the major texts on herbs, natural diet and lifestyle and wholistic health.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:25 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible