Bella Poldark (2002)

by Winston Graham

Series: Poldark Saga (12)

286970,817 (4.18)1 / 78
The final instalment in the much-loved Poldark saga Cornwall, 1818: We continue the tale of Ross and Demelza; of the wayward Valentine Warleggan, whose existence keeps open the old wounds of the feud between Ross and George; of Bella, the Poldark's youngest daughter, whose precocious talent as a singer is encouraged by her old flame, Christopher Havergal, and by a distinguished French conductor, who has more in mind than Bella's music; of Clowance, the Poldark's widowed daughter, who considers remarriage to one of two rival suitors; and of a murderer who stalks the villages of west Cornwall.… (more)

**This review actually refers to five books in this series: Stranger From the Sea, The Miller's Dance, The Loving Cup, The Twisted Sword & Bella Poldark**

I really have no clue what rock I was living under....I have no excuse. But, up until recently, I had no idea the Poldark series on television is based on a series of books! I love sweeping historical family sagas. I have no earthly clue how I missed this one! Rectifying the situation immediately!

There are 12 books in the Poldark Saga, written by Winston Graham from 1945-2002. The books are set in Cornwall, starting with Ross Poldark in 1783 and ending with Bella Poldark in 1820.

It's official -- I love this series! And I'm reading my way through all of the books before I watch the television series. I have a rule that before I can watch a film or television adaptation, I have to read the books first. Then I'm acquainted with the characters and can see what they changed/added/kept true to the original, etc. There are actually two Poldark television series. One from BBC in the 1970s that serialized the first seven books. And then the newer series that started in 2015. There have been five seasons of the new show. I can't wait to watch it! Still reading my way through the books first...and enjoying every page!

The five books listed here are books #8-12 of the series. I had review copies of all 5 novels and read them cover to cover. Binge read them, to be honest. I love the characters...the setting....the history. I had to stop periodically and look some things up as I'm not familiar with the time period or history of Cornwall at all. The one problem with reviewing books is that I'm under a deadline. With historical fiction or family sagas, I like to take my time and let the story sink in and savor the characters. But with five books to read, and not having read the first books in the series beforehand, I was a bit lost in names, places, etc. The story was enough to carry me through! I loved every book!

I'm backtracking now and reading the series from the start....and I will re-read these books when I come back around to them. I will have an even better understanding of the characters and history during my second reading! And then I can watch the television show. I'm curious which books it has already covered and which ones are upcoming -- whether it stays true to the books or goes off course, etc.

Great books! I highly recommend this series to any readers who enjoy historical fiction, family sagas, and just history in general!

Love, love, love! :) Here are some extra exclamation points in case I did not make it clear that I enjoy this series: !!!!!!!!

**I read review copies of these novels from St Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.) ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
A lady ahead of her time--Bella goes on to be an actress! A lot of this book deals with Napoleon and the wars over in Europe. Little heavy on the history. ( )
  lhaines56 | Sep 16, 2020 |
Alas, the end of Poldark! This was a satisfactory wrapping up of the series. Bella's story seemed relatively trivial at times and the murder mystery out of character for its artificial suspense, but I still enjoyed both. I can't wait for more seasons of this show; for once the books and production are worthy of each other. ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Probably one of my favourites of the series. Rattles along at a fast pace and is hard to put down. Certainly as good if not better than the others - wondering if there will be a 14th so we can find out the further romances, business dealings etc. ( )
  justmum | Jan 14, 2020 |
In this book, Isabella-Rose “Bella” Poldark is the main focus. She’s eighteen and her singing voice will take her places. Her intended betrothed, Christopher Havergal, is determined to make sure she gets the best teacher London can offer. Meanwhile, a French musician, Maurice Valéry, is bent on winning Bella for a new opera called Il barbiere di Siviglia… and maybe for himself too. Meanwhile, the Poldark-Warleggan feud continues, with Valentine’s increasingly eccentric behaviour prompting Ross to be more watchful for him, and George facing his own mortality. And the paradise that is Cornwall has some darkening shadows: a murderer stalking the countryside.

This was a good conclusion to the series. Bella’s gusto and pluck make her a worthy protagonist, and the recurring cast of characters moves in and out of the storyline to tie enough bows on things and make the book a good stopping point. I do have to admit that, now that I’ve read 12 of these books, I read in fear much of the time because any happy development may be tinged with sadness. Fortunately, I was proven wrong enough times to keep the story interesting. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Aug 23, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

To Max and Joan Reinhardt
For many years of loving friendship
The evening was loud and wild.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,290,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible