Fire on the Mountain by P.D. Singer

Fire on the Mountain (2009)

by P.D. Singer

Take a break from academics, enjoy the Colorado Rockies, fight a fire now and then. That's all Jake Landon expected when he signed up to be a ranger. He'll partner with some crusty old mountain man; they'll patrol the wilderness in a tanker, speak three words a day, and Old Crusty won't be alluring at all. A national forest is big enough to be Jake's closet-he'll spend his free time fishing. Except Old Crusty turns out to be Kurt Carlson: confident, competent, and experienced. He's also young, hot, friendly, and considers clothing optional when it's just two guys in the wilderness. Sharing a small cabin with this walking temptation is stressing Jake's sanity-is he sending signals, or just being Kurt? And how would Kurt react if he found out his new partner wants to start a fire of a different kind? Jake's terrified-they have to live together for five months no matter what. Enough sparks fly between the rangers to set the trees alight, but it takes a raging inferno to make Jake and Kurt admit to the heat between them.… (more)

I liked the plot of this one but I had issues with the writing and editing. Parts of the voice just didn't strike me as authentic and just served to pull me out of the story. I liked the short story at the end of the book more than I did the main story because It didn't seem to have the same issues.

I think the book would have been better served to have the short story be the prologue and the current prologue just worked back into the book. I didn't feel that Jake had a young man's "voice" consistently throughout the novel. ( )
  FanGirlMom | Apr 2, 2013 |
3.5 stars Enjoyable story about a young firefighter/ranger in the Rocky Mountains who is teamed with a hot slightly older (by 3 years) and more experienced firefighter for a 6 month stint. Jake isn't out and isn't sure if Kurt is gay. They are stuck with each other for 6 months, with only short trips to town for supplies. If he makes a move and Kurt rejects him how will they manage to spend the rest of their season? But, what if...? Told from Jake's 1st person POV, I found the will he/won't he a bit repetitive and boring after a while. Once the action started (they are caught in a fire) however, things picked up. There is another section of navel gazing afterwards and then a happy ending which was, unfortunately cut a bit short for me. There are other books in the series which I plan on reading - more of this couple together would be fun.www.kaetrinsmusings.blogspot.com ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
  Kaetrin | Aug 9, 2012 |
The visual imagery of the Colorado Rockies was amazing. Singer writes with such authority. The characters, Jake and Kurt, were likable and believable as they stumbled down the road that led to each other, and the action was well thought out and perfectly paced. I found myself holding my breath through their shared peril, and when the rain came down I was moved to tears. ( )
  EdenWinters | Jan 16, 2010 |
added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Thommie (Jul 10, 2013)

For the MU, Isabel, Meg, and Dee, who shared the struggle; Jared, for the vision; and above all, for Jo, who believed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,182,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible