Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo

Into the Looking Glass

by John Ringo

Series: Looking Glass (1)

6111924,242 (3.63)9
    Death's Head by David Gunn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Death's Head is quite a bit more "noir" but they're both military sci-fi with competent butt-kicking and mature themes.

I’ve read quite a few books by John Ringo and I think it’s safe to say that I’ve liked pretty much all of them. This one however, I was not as thrilled about as I usually am. Now, it is quite probable that I am somewhat biased from the start.

The author makes frequent references to CERN and more specifically, is basing most of his story on the Higgs Boson. Since I am an engineer at CERN I’m somewhat sensitive to bullshit about these subjects and unfortunately John Ringo’s depiction of Higgs Bosons is indeed utter bullshit. Christ, he could not even get his basic facts rights. For instance, he talks about scientists trying to create Higgs Bosons, specifically, using linear accelerators. The CERN accelerator is a circular one. If you want to create science fiction then create it but do not rewrite known science and facts. It’s just ignorant not to mention arrogant towards the readers.

Okay, so now I’ve had my gripe about this. I understand that for a lot of people Higgs Bosons and CERN is mostly exotic terms and they probably do not have the bias that I have. The book is really still very much in the John Ringo style. The dialogs between people are fun as usual. The action is plentiful and fairly well done. At time I felt it went a bit too much into mysterious la-la land though. Still, if you generally like John Ringo and do not have the bias I have, then you would probably like this book as well. I'm afraid I cannot bring myself to give it more than a, barely, average rating though.

Having said that, although I wasn’t as thrilled with this one as I usually am with John Ringo’s works I will definitely read, at least, the next one in the series as well.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Still determined to struggle through and finish. If you love detailed descriptions of military weaponry and hate character development (seriously, halfway through we finally get some personal life details about the main character), this is the book for you.

It's not all bad, there is some humor, and in spite of the above complaints I do find some of the detailed physics and weapons extremely interesting (which is why a friend recommended it).

Perhaps the single most annoying thing is how the author constantly switches around how he references characters—by first name, last name, job title, rank, vague job description—it makes it hard to follow at times. You have to remember not only a character's name, but every aspect of his job, duties, and rank, he might be referred to by any of those at any time.
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
A very interesting hard SF book about a physics experiment gone wrong that opens portals to other worlds. One inhabited by a race of monsters bent on changing every world to their world through terraforming.

The main character is a "redneck physicist" who figures out what is happening and starts working to change it with his Navy Seal side kicks.

A good all around read. In one way - high body count military SF - classic Ringo. In another - fetish sex - unrecognizable as Ringo. ( )
  rondavis | Apr 18, 2018 |
Read 2008
Re-read 2012

[November 2008 Review]
Basically take Doom and parts of Starcraft, specifically the Zerg, add in some military hardware jargon and you've got this book. Some rogue physicist creates some kind of gate that throws out bosun particles, which allow gates to be opened to other planets. The dreen come through one and we go through another and meet some friendly aliens. The dreen take over planets and suck them dry of resources. The dreen are zerglike, growing creatures for specific needs.

Besides some profanity and some seriously over the top weapon specifications[it IS military scifi though], this was enjoyable. I plan on reading some more in this series 'cause this was a ton of fun.

[May 2012 Review]
Still gets 4 stars from me. Could have had a little more action and less eggheads discussing quantum mechanic theory.

But marines, aliens, guns and scientists. Plus Mimi and Tuffy. Just good stuff. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo is the first book in his Looking Glass series. When an accident in a physics lab at University of Central Florida causes a huge explosion, physicist William (Bill) Weaver and Navy SEAL Command Master Chief Robert Miller are sent in to investigate. They discover that an experiment in subatomic physics has produced a gateway to another world - and the gateways are spreading.

This is military science fiction novel. Ringo adds some humor along with the science (and some parts were quite funny), but the star of this book is the military action. After the initial explosion the novel slowed down while the physics of the event were being explained, but the action soon took off at a breakneck pace.

Let me reiterate that this is military science fiction. If supporting the American military or the warrior culture of the military is going to offend you, don't read this book. It's pro-military. It's also science fiction, so, if (simplified) scientific explanations are going to confuse you, don't read this book. If neither the military nor science aspects are going to bother you, then by all means read Into the Looking Glass. (Additionally, keep in mind that the novel supports conservative political views.)

Ringo is not the best writer technically but then, that's not really what you'd be looking for in a military science fiction novel. He does deliver on the action and the battle scenes. I'm looking forward to reading the other three novels in this series sometime: Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass, Book 2) by John Ringo; Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, Book 3) by Travis S. Taylor; Claws That Catch (Looking Glass, Book 4) by John Ringo
Highly Recommended - especially if you enjoy military science fiction. http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/ ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |

John Ringoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Faries,JennieCover designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller,KurtCover artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When a 60-kiloton explosion destroyed the University of Central Florida, and much of the surrounding countryside, the authorities first thought that terrorists had somehow obtained a nuclear weapon. But there was no radiation detected, and, when physicist Dr. William Weaver and Navy SEAL Command Master Chief Robert Miller were sent to investigate, they found that in the center of the destruction, where the University's physics department used to be, was an interdimensional gateway to... somewhere. An experiment in subatomic physics had produced a very unexpected effect. Furthermore, other gateways were appearing all over the world-and one of them immediately began disgorging demonic visitors intent on annihilating all life on Earth and replacing it with their own. Other, apparently less hostile, aliens emerged from other gateways, and informed Weaver and Miller that the demonic invaders-the name for them that humans could most easily pronounce was the "Dreen"-were a deadly blight across the galaxy, occupying planet after planet after wiping out all native life. Now it would be Earth's turn, unless Weaver and Miller could find a way to close the gateways. If they failed, the less belligerent aliens would face the regrettable necessity of annihilating the entire Earth to save their own worlds. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

Ismay and Mara are Irish orphans, sent to Australia against their will by the authorities. Even wrose, they're separated on arrival. While Ismay is forced to take a job as a maid in the country, Mara must stay in the care of the Catholic mission. Desperate to be reunited with each other, they both escape. But there is danger in the bush...… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,299,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible