Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

March to the Sea by David Weber

March to the Sea (2001)

by David Weber, John Ringo

Series: Empire of Man (2)

There are basically two reasons why I was reading this book. The first one being that I started to read this series and it’s not really bad book so I’m going to finish it. The second one being that David Weber and John Ringo generally write good books. Having said that this is not a book that is 100% in my style which is why I take some time reading it.

The series started of nice enough with a spoiled brat of a prince with his personal regiment of marines on a space ship but then they got stranded on a primitive world and the little high tech equipment they have are gradually braking or running out of power which leaves swords and spears for the fighting.

Now, the book is well written which means that, despite it not being 100% my kind of book, I find the book quite enjoyable although in small doses. Even though the marines are running out of working high tech gear they still have superior skills and knowledge compared to the natives. This is something that is well demonstrated in this book where the marines are teaching their new “friends” not only how to fight with some decent tactics and strategies but also to make guns and rifles using cartridges instead of frontloaded antiques. The surprise the bad guys are getting is quite fun read.

The book blurb talks about romance and sure, there’s some of it in there but it is, luckily, not the focus of the story. As is common when David Weber is involved there is a certain amount of politics and general bla bla but it is, again luckily, not as over the top as in some of his later works.

In short a very good book and it would probably have gotten a higher rating from me if the story would have been more in my preferred style. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Okay, love Weber, tolerate Ringo alongside Weber, but not by himself. I read the first book in this series recently and thought it was decent. Not as good as the Honor Harrington or Safehold series,' or even the Weber/Evans Multiverse series, but it was okay. I think I gave the book a generous four stars. It had some good places and dragged in some other places. While browsing in a bookstore recently, I saw the fourth book in the series and read the synopsis and it sounded pretty cool, so that meant I'd have to get the second and third books. Yesterday I saw the second book, this one, in the bookstore, so I bought it. And started reading it. But I've got to tell ya, I didn't get very far. For reasons I can't fully fathom, I'm just not as into this series as I am others. It doesn't pull me in, doesn't intrigue me enough. Sure, there's action. Maybe there's too much! In the first book, after all, 75 Marines slaughtered 18,000 alien warriors in a battle. That's friggin' ridiculous. I've read it's even more ridiculous in this book. The biggest literary battle slaughter of all time. And for no good reason. Stupid, it seems to me. And I really don't care about Prince Roger. Some of the Marines are interesting, but most of them get killed off so quickly, you don't have time to get to know them. And it takes three 700 page books for some 50 or 60 humans to walk halfway across a planet to a certain city? Three? Really? This couldn't have been done in one, or at most, two books? Hey Weber -- why not turn this into Safehold and make it into a 40 book series with everyone battling everyone else in one country for eternity? Yeah, that's the ticket! I'm not reading this book, more than I have, just because it seems, even with all of the fighting that becomes a little redundant after awhile, BORING. It's just not that great of a series. The concept isn't that great. It's not Honor. It's not Safehold. It's not even the Multiverse. It's pretty weak. I don't care about these people and I certainly don't want to read three 700 page books to see them slog halfway across an alien world when that could actually have been taken care of in half a book, or perhaps even a chapter, by other writers. I'd rather invest my time and energy in other, more interesting, books. Perhaps some Asimov. Perhaps some decent military sci fi by Chris Bunch. Surely I have many other books better than this. I know there are a lot of people out there who like this book and this series. After all, it has an awfully high rating on Goodreads. It's just not for me. Sorry. Recommended for most Weber or Ringo fans. For most mainstream sci fi fans, I'd say avoid it -- there's better stuff out there. ( )
  scottcholstad | Dec 7, 2015 |
This is the third time I have read this book if it is any indication on how much I like this series. This book is a bit slower than the first book in the progress of the characters and the guardians of the Prince. Things happen to Roger to further mold his character from the snobby brat at the beginning of the fist book to the potential leader he is becoming. I am going to start reading a different David Weber series now and take a break from this and come back to the next book in the series after I am finished. ( )
  Mindslayer | Nov 18, 2015 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
An old favorite revisited. I do enjoy watching Prince Roger grow up. This one is from leaving Marshad to solving K'Vaern's Cove's problem with _that_ lot of barbarians. The tech gets a lot higher - up to gunpowder, which leads to flintlock pistols and rifles, and to rockets, and to a lot more destruction - of places, and people. The scenes of destruction get...not more gory, exactly, but bigger. 15,000 Boman at Voitan, in the first book; some 50,000 Kranolta here - but a very similar bloodbath. And not all the dead are bad guys. Among others, Roger loses someone very important to him - possibly more important than anyone, including Roger, realized until he was gone. It does lead to some advancement with Despreaux, though. We also get a lot more information and personality from Mardukans - Rastar and Honal, and Krindi Fain, in particular. I also enjoy (though not with complete understanding) Poertena's sailing talk. I know a bit about ships - enough to have at least a vague clue what he's talking about. Oh, and the coll fish poison is interesting. And - yeah. There's a lot of good bits in here. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 18, 2012 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ringo, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Turner, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074343580X, Mass Market Paperback)

Marooned on the planet Marduk by an assassination attempt, Prince Roger MacClintock and his bodyguards must fight for survival as they march through steaming jungles, fighting lethal wildlife and treacherous local rulers all the way -- and it will take all his strength to get off the planet alive....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

Prince Roger MacClintock was a spoiled rotten, thoroughly useless young pain in the butt. But that was before the Royal Brat and his guards were marooned by an assassination attempt and had to march half way around the planet. Under the right circumstances, even a brat can grow up fast, and it turns out that under his spoiled exterior, Prince Roger is a true MacClintock like his warrior ancestors.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible