Nappily in Bloom

by Trisha R. Thomas

Series: Nappily Series (4)

"Airic and his famous televangelist wife, Trevelle Doval, make the evening news when Airic is accused of domestic battery and his life is suddenly turned upside down. But when Venus and Jake try to suspend Airic's visitation rights with Mya, they discover that Airic isn't willing to go down without a fight. Meanwhile, Jake's best friend, Legend, turns up on his doorstep with trouble not far behind. The past is back with a vengeance, including blackmail, murder and enemies who are looking for payback. But everything takes a dangerous new turn when Venus goes missing. For Jake it's now a race against time to save the woman he loves."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book easy enough to read. I do wish I had read the other books in the series before reading this one though. Still it was easy to follow and the characters came alive. ( )
  scarvell | Apr 20, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very good book. Characters are described so you can see them. Very well written. I am looking forward to reading her other books. True to life: good and bad happening.
  Marilee2008 | Jan 23, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not read the first three books in the series but I was still able to grasp the character driven and suspenseful plot and I fell in love with Venus, Jake and Mya.

I hate when reviewers give away to much of the storyline so I won't. I will say that I will definitely pick up the first three books because Trisha Thomas has made a fan out of me! ( )
  afreund | Dec 3, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really didn't like this book.

I couldn't identify with any of the characters, had no sympathy for any of them (except a minor one - Keisha), and had no idea why they made the choices they did. So many of those choices were bad ones, meaning that bad things happened as a result. One of the characters even wonders why it seems that every time happiness is within his grasp, it disappears, but it doesn't occur to him that his awful choices have any bearing on his life. Everyone's setting themselves up for disaster at every turn. The "solution" to many problems seemed to be sex. Even the "nice" or "good" characters were manipulative of the people they professed to love.

Plot elements are introduced and then left hanging. For example, a couple has a lawyer on retainer in case anyone accuses them of tampering with a DNA test, but it doesn't occur to them to actually CALL their lawyer when they want to modify their custody agreement. One thing leads to another, and one of the main characters then decides she can't do anything when her daughter is kidnapped by her biological father. It seemed that "there's nothing I can do" was a common explanation when the plot required it.

The writing style bothered me. I couldn't figure out what was going on for the first third of the book - it seemed as though the main character had split personalities and was living a double-life. Then I realised that the book was written in the first-person, but from TWO perspectives! There was no way to figure out whose head you were in until a name was spoken, or some plot point was mentioned. The book starts going into third-person narrative at about the 1/3 mark, and then it switches between first-person (still in two character's heads) and third person, used inconsistently, and even switching between perspectives during one scene. There were many plot inconsistencies. There were really short, bullet-point style sentences in some parts. I really hope these things will be corrected in the final version.

The book was left wide open for another in the series, but I was so unimpressed with this one that there's no chance I'll be reading any more. ( )
  wosret | Nov 7, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story was only ok. The copy I read was an ARC so some things might have changed for the real release.

The book takes several different first person points of view, which were not clearly articulated at the start of chapters, thought that might change in the non-arc version ( i would hope!). In one place the point of view changed in the middle of a chapter. Even if these switches were clearly marked I don't think this would be an effective technique for this story.

The possible suspenseful part, where the main character was kidnapped, was not drawn out long enough to build any real suspense.

I think someone who had read the other books in the series might have a better time with this book, since they will know the characters and be able to follow how everyone is related to everyone else more easily. There might have even been too many characters. The book likely could have dropped the wedding story all together and focused on the turmoil between Venus and her ex-husband and his wife. ( )
  _Lana_ | Oct 12, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Trisha R. Thomas's book Nappily In Bloom was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,802,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible