Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers

Clouds of Witness (1945)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (2)

English (60)  Swedish (1)  All languages (61)
3.5* ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Clouds of Witness is wonderful. I was in the mood for a lovely mystery. This one seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

I've decided to read these in order they appear on Goodreads. I liked Lord Peter Wimsey in Whose Body? and I loved him here. Not much has changed in this book. His quirks work so well in his world.

In Clouds of Witness he is trying to save his brother (the Duke) who has been accused of murder. From their estate to Paris and back, from England to somewhere very far away, through the dangers of the moor and strange situations involving unexpectedly violent farmers, the Duke's side has their hands full. Lord Peter Wimsey, Bunter and Parker tirelessly work to find what exactly happened that night. The resolution is perfect.
I found Peter's sister annoying as hell, but I guess certain things can be forgiven under the circumstances.

Beside Lord Peter Wimsey, Bunter and Parker, one of my favourite characters ever is the Dowager Duchess.'My dear child, you can give it a long name if you like, but I'm an old-fashioned woman and I call it mother-wit, and it's so rare for a man to have it that if he does you write a book about him and call him Sherlock Holmes.' I'll avoid quoting half of the book, but its greatest strength is the humour. Some of it is profound, some ordinary, but it is never dull. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Lord Peter Wimsey’s brother Gerald is arrested and accused of the murder of his sisters boyfriend. Wimsey hurries home from his vacation on Corsica and goes to work - with his “partner”, detective Palmer and his manservant Bunter.

Mary, Peter’s sister, is also under suspicion as her story doesn’t hold water - a lot is at stake here for Peter - and there’s more action in this one - Wimsey is shot at (twice), are in severe danger in a swamp and have to endure a lot before the case is closed. ( )
  ctpress | Jun 3, 2016 |
Three cheers for Lord Peter Wimsey and Dorothy Sayers' witty writing! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Clouds Of Witness (1926) by Dorothy Sayer

is book #2 in the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series.

I hesitate to rate and do a thorough evaluation because I'm not familiar with the series
and have little experience with the English cozy subgenre.
I'm assuming this qualifies as cozy.

The subject is serious--Peter's brother, the Duke of Denver, is accused of murder.
Elements of the story and Peter's character provide comic relief and a pleasing puzzle throughout.
Here's an example:
You're introduced to the intricate layout of the English court and the trial procedure.
and suddenly, out of nowhere, a witness debunks her previous testimony and "reporters looked up suddenly like dogs expecting a biscuit"
and Sir Wigmore knocked his brief over the head of the clerk of the house of lords sitting below."

Lord Peter had a habit of addressing his sister Mary as "old thing" or Polly.
You had to chuckle.

Clues are plentiful as are "red herring" characters.
Occasionally I needed the dictionary and a repeat reading of a colloquial "string of thoughts."

I ordered this book as a trade paperback and found the text was so tiny that it was headache material and I gave up trying to read it.
Also, there were huge spaces between each paragraph....why?
and, there is no publisher listed/mentioned anywhere in the book.
It simply said --printed and manufactured in the United States Of America.

I needed to read this for my F2F group.
My E reader version was 644 pages.....
Needless to say....I'm glad this experience is over.
  pennsylady | Jan 29, 2016 |

Carmichael, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lord Peter Wimsey stretched himself luxuriously between the sheets provided by the Hotel Meurice.
Please distinguish between this mystery novel, Cloud Of Witnesses by Dorothy L. Sayers (1926), and the similarly-titled anthology of essays, Cloud Of Witnesses edited by Jim Wallis and Joyce Hollyday (1991; rev'd 2005). Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043532, Mass Market Paperback)

Rustic old Riddlesdale Lodge was a Wimsey family retreat filled with country pleasures and the thrill of the hunt -- until the game turned up human and quite dead. He lay among the chrysanthemums, wore slippers and a dinner jacket and was Lord Peter's brother-in-law-to-be. His accused murderer was Wimsey's own brother, and if murder set all in the family wasn't enough to boggle the unflappable Lord Wimsey, perhaps a few twists of fate would be -- a mysterious vanishing midnight letter from Egypt...a grieving fiancee with suitcase in hand...and a bullet destined for one very special Wimsey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Lord Peter is on vacation when he hears that a dead body has been found at the Wimsey family retreat, and that Lord Peter's brother, the Duke of Denver, is being held for the crime. The dead man? Their sister's fiance.? Lord Peter must clear his brother's name to avoid the death penalty. There is overwhelming circumstantial evidence against the Duke, but Lord Peter firmly believes that his brother is innocent and begins his own investigation into the murder. Can Lord Peter find the truth in time to save his brother and the family name?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,166,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible