The Awakening

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkest Powers (2), Otherworld (2)

Fifteen-year-old necromancer Chloe, having escaped from Lyle House with Derek, Simon, and Rae, finds herself imprisoned in a laboratory run by a sinister organization determined to control her and her supernatural friends.

English (113)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (115)
2.5 stars ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
LOVED this book-just as good as the first looking forward to the next installment in this exceptional series ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Somehow my ratings and reviews were lost for this book series, so my review won't be as detailed as before.

I loved this book series and I read them as fast as I can. I love the main character Chloe and the world the author created. Chloe and the people she meets along the way go through quite a roller coaster of events.

This has a little bit of everything with action, paranormal, fantasy, and a little romance (Which is just how I like it, just blended into the story and not the main focal point.)

I would definitely recommend this book series to people. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |
I. enjoyed it more than the first. more action. nice job Kelley ( )
  DigitalKB | Apr 13, 2020 |
This is the second book in The Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong. It continues the story of Chloe Saunders and her friends as they try to escape from the Edison Group - a bunch of scientists that are using the supernatural teens as genetic altering experiences. I enjoyed this book as much, if not more, than I did the first book. Armstrong continues to develop the characters. I felt for them even more and rooted for them - I even started liking Tori. Somehow, Armstrong manages to write stories that are non-stop action and fast paced and still believable. (Well, as long as you have no problem believing in supernatural powers.) I recommend this series even more now. Wonder how long it'll be before the third book comes in from the library? ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Another slam dunk for Kelley Armstrong in this mind-tingling action-packed novel. The book begins with Chloe in the locked Edison Group facility after revealing to her friend that she is actually dead. She soon learns that the people of the Edison Group are not as nice as they seem. I really enjoyed this novel because I already knew these characters and I was interested to see how they came into their powers when danger arose. I have to say I need to stop guessing when it comes to her novels because most of the time I am usually wrong and people are not always what they seem.

It was nice to read about the realtionship between Derek and Chloe. In The Summoning their relationship was very strained because of the secret of what Derek was, but the fact that these two are so different makes them perfect companions. We also delved deeper into Derek's secret agenda involving the Pack which happens to live closeby. I also enjoyed the character of Liz, we missed out on a lot of her in the first novel, but this novel really showed how strong of a character she was, although Chloe was the only one to truly recognize it.

After reading other reviews about this novel, some say it was very slow and just a "middle" book, just setting us up for the end novel. I disagree. This novel explored more of the "coming of age" and power of these teenagers. Other novels explore characters already knowing their powers, but this particular series shows the troubles of learning to harness and control something that they never chose.

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover photographysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia
When the door to my cell clicked open, the first thought that flitted through my doped-up brain was that Liz had changed her mind and come back.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,162,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible