The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz

The Vinyl Princess

by Yvonne Prinz

Allie, a sixteen-year-old who is obsessed with LPs, works at the used record store on Telegraph Ave. and deals with crushes--her own and her mother's--her increasingly popular blog and zine, and generally grows up over the course of one summer in her hometown of Berkeley, California.

A great story, perfect for the music-obsessed teen. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Allie is one of the last of a dying breed of true vinyl and music appreciators. She works blissfully at Bob and Bob Records, a haven for music enthusiasts in Berkeley, California. Allie would be happy just to live as she is, surrounded by vinyl, forever, but she wonders if there are more people like her out there, such as that cute guy who has spent so much time in the store lately.

Allie starts to reach out to vinyl lovers everywhere by starting a blog, but she begins to learn that she can reach out just within her own neighborhood as well…

I have trouble finding the words to describe my experience of reading THE VINYL PRINCESS. It is an understated novel that makes its impact not with an incredible premise or fast-paced action, but with the quirky nuances that often pass by unnoticed in our everyday lives, and I love it so much for doing that.

Allie is—and at the same time isn’t—your average teenage girl. She holds herself above the usual petty melodramas of her peers, which makes her refreshing to read about, as well as gives her a potential crossover appeal. She has a sort of wry narration and a deep confidence in her music knowledge and taste, which at times made me a bit uncomfortable. I couldn’t help but imagine that the bookish equivalent of Allie would probably disdain me for reading *sniff* a young adult novel. Ah well. Too bad I still can’t help but be interested in people like her, who seem to be so sure of themselves and their passions.

The jacket synopsis doesn’t give credit to what goes on in this book. In fact, Allie’s blog is only a small thing of interest that happens to her in the course of the summer. THE VINYL PRINCESS deals elegantly with family tensions, best friend troubles, economic woes, and the adorable uncertainty of unexpected, budding romance. Even in moments when the plot seems to stumble in terms of believability, nothing really feels disbelievingly dramatic, and Allie and the supporting characters never lost my sympathies.

THE VINYL PRINCESS is a strong contemporary YA novel that will appeal to readers who like voice-driven fiction, featuring a main protagonist who seems older than her years. In fact, I’m kind of surprised that this wasn’t published as an adult novel, for in many ways its contemplation of society and humanity will be more appreciated by an older audience. It has definitely put Yvonne Prinz on my list of YA authors to watch out for, and I look forward to what she does with other characters in different situations in the future. ( )
1 vote stephxsu | Feb 17, 2011 |
As a bit of a music geek, I appreciated a lot of the music-geeky characters – they shine when they’re talking about their favorite albums or making a mix. But the romance subplots were obvious, and the exponential growth of her blog was unrealistic enough that it pulled me out of the story. ( )
  twonickels | Nov 12, 2010 |
Yvonne Prinz's "The Vinyl Princess" will make you laugh, cry, and scream in frustration and when you finish it, you will just sit and stare at the book for 30 minutes thinking about what you just read.

16 year old Allie is working at the best store (in her opinion) in Berkeley, California - Bob and Bob's record store. Allie is a music junkie that is obsessed and loves Vinyls. She has a whole wall in her room just for her vinyls. She decides to create a blog called "The Vinyl Princess" where she writes reviews and her thoughts on her favorite vinyls and one's she dislikes. She originally created this blog because she wants to see if there are people in the world that are like her. People that are as passionate as her when it comes to vinyls and because she wants to share her of love of music and vinyl with the world. Throughout the book, she will encounter problems and situations where she will learn to grow up and mature. She will have to deal with robberies, boys, and lots of drama.

The plot in this book was okay. Not great and not bad. The only thing is that some parts just seem so unrealistic! I mean, how can so many things have happened during summer?? But of course anything is possible. However, even though maybe some parts seemed unrealistic, it was still a great book. If I were to label the story on a plot diagram, I could do in minutes. That's the great thing, because some books I have read have the most confusing plot EVER! I really like how the book included blogging though. Definitely made it even cooler seeing what she was trying to do with her blog and promote vinyls. It's a great way to connect to people that think and have similarities with you.

I think boys and girls in their teen years or young adults, will enjoy this book because it's target reader's aren't directly at girls or boys. My brother found this book on the table and was instantly interested in the book, asking questions about it. I think the reason why people should read this book would be because young people like to listen to music and most can relate to it too. People that love music and collect vinyls will definitely love this book and even if you don't, you'd still like it, except for the fact that you probably won't know more than half of the artists mentioned. However, if you're looking for a book filled with suspense and is fast-paced with full of action, then this is probably not the right book. This is more of a daily life kind of book. A book more about a persons life than stuff you would read in comic books and sci-fi stuff.

"The Vinyl Princess" is a fun, exciting book that will never leave your face!! ( )
  bubblegum123 | Oct 29, 2010 |
It’s summer and instead of hanging out with her friends or doing any of the other things vapid, boring teenagers do, Allie is working full time at Bob & Bob Records in Berkeley, California. She’s an audiophile and absolutely loves vinyl records, accepting no substitutes. Armed with a sardonic wit and an encyclopedic knowledge of eclectic music, she deals with the clientele of Bob and Bob’s, including eccentric bums, teenyboppers hungry for the next pop hit for their iPods, and the rare kindred spirit lover of LP’s. At home, her life is interesting to say the least. She lives with her flighty mother, her cat, and a ghostly Asian girl who rents a room. To try to connect with a greater community of LP lovers online, she adopts the persona The Vinyl Princess and creates a blog and zine. As her music blog grows in popularity, her real life is close to coming crashing down. Bob, the owner of the record store where she works, is getting closer and closer to selling the store. Her mother is pretending to be someone she’s not to please her new boyfriend and Allie suspects something is wrong with the guy she met at her work and totally clicked with. Plus there have been a rash of robberies in the neighborhood. Can Allie get her real life on track while her online blog flourishes?

I really enjoyed this novel. Allie is like no other protagonist I have ever read in general, not just in young adult literature. She knows a ridiculous amount about music most people her age AND my age don’t even know exists. In the age of file sharing, BitTorrent, and iTunes, her point of view is considered obsolete and old fashioned. Music is treated as a luxury in the educational system and not a necessity, despite the way music pervades our everyday lives. iPods are seen more as objects of status than as music players and the sound quality of the music coming out of them is mediocre at best. LP’s are the surprisingly provide the best sound quality for music, especially the classical genre. Allie’s point of view is so refreshing to me as both a fellow music and vinyl lover. I have a small collection of LP’s that are mostly classical music.

I am fascinated and impressed by Allie’s eclectic music knowledge. I’m not familiar with everything she talked about in the novel, but there were quite a few of them that I recognized and enjoyed myself. The genre that she talked about that resonated with me the most was the film soundtrack. Movie soundtracks take up a huge amount of space in my music collection. This is definitely a book that I feel at home reading.

The only part of The Vinyl Princess that I feel is superfluous is actually the main conflict. I would have been happy just reading passages out of Allie’s life with her music, her friends, and her family.

The Vinyl Princess is a wonderful coming of age tale encased in music. It’s a must read for music lovers everywhere. ( )
  titania86 | Jul 28, 2010 |

Yvonne Prinz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,777,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible