Death Note, Volume 3: Hard Run (2003)

by Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata (Illustrator)

Other authors: Takeshi Obata (Illustrator)

Series: Death Note (3)

Light is chafing under L's extreme surveillance, but even 64 microphones and cameras hidden in his room aren't enough to stop Light. He steps up the game, but before the battle of wits can really begin, a family emergency distracts him. But even though Light isn't using the Death Note right now, someone else is! Who's the new "Kira" in town?… (more)

English (24)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
I've never once considered finding that notebook and gaining this power a misfortune. In fact, it's made me happier than I've ever been. And I'm going to create a perfect world.

Light continues to be a psychopath. Light's dad continues to be a total badass. L continues to actually live up to his reputation at his own funky pace. This serious continues to be a lot of fun. I have trepidation about the reveal from that last set of panels and the fact that the next volume is entitled Love, but let's see how it goes, right? ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
This was was pretty intense! Quite a bit happens with L and Light and a new character is introduced. . . . ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
I love the obsessive, logical detail put into this story. Like a hyper-detailed police procedural but in a world of the supernatural! ( )
  spaceman5000 | Jul 23, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

So, L and Light are together now, and while it wasn't a surprise as to what was going to happen, having already seen the series, their ongoing battle is one of my favourite parts. Really enjoyed this book. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Light secured a terrible blow to the police effort by managing to kill 12 FBI agents in Japan without getting caught. Furthermore, Naomi Misora has seemingly vanished, and the tips she wished to share with the police effort that would have guaranteed Kira's demise were not delivered.

But L is relentless and continues to suspect Light's involvement with the crimes. His tactic? To hide from the shadows and pretend to be a college student to get closer to Light under a fake name to lure him into a trap.

While Light wonders whether L/Ryuuzaki is just a scapegoat or the true L, a second Kira has appeared and will cause a power rift that could cause problems for Light.

While I know beforehand L's stint in college in the greater sense of the whole manga is too brief to cause any real impact in the plot, I liked his boldness, his relentless quirks, poor fashion sense, and the pecking love/hate/mutual respect relationship he develops with Light in this volume. He has grown tired of hiding and is risking his own life in order to force Light to make a mistake.

I did find this volume to get slow at times, and the appearance of the second Kira was a bit too rushed for my taste. However, it's still a rock solid volume. 4 1/2 stars. ( )
  chirikosan | Jun 25, 2019 |

Tsugumi Ohbaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Obata, TakeshiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Takeshi ObataIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,509,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible