Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans

Madeline in London

by Ludwig Bemelmans

Series: Madeline (5)

Recently added bycesbooks, cesdemo

Madeline in London is a fun adventure where Madeline and the girls visit their dear friend Pepito while he and his family are away in London on business. While they are there, Madeline and Pepito of course manage to get themselves into trouble involving a horse that gets spooked. Although parts of the story are unrealistic, it is still enjoyable and imaginative. The playful nature of it would bring a smile to any child's face. ( )
  Jacki_H | Dec 3, 2016 |
I thought that this book was alright. I didn't like the style that the author used because it got to the point where the sing song nature was annoying. For example the author writes "Oh, for a cup of tea and crumpets--Hark, hark, there goes the sound of trumpets. These birds have seen all this before. But they are glad of an encore." Reading these few sentences just gets on my nerve and the whole book is like that. The illustration were a bit odd as well. The author designed the illustration for every other set of pages to be in color. The odd pages are in all yellow and black. To me I didn't see a point to this based on the text. I did like the balance between point of views. The book would switch between first person and third person, which I think helps to break up the monotony. One sentence says "Where's my celery, carrots, tomatoes, my beans and peas? And not an apple on my apple trees!" The next sentence says "Everybody had to cry. Not a singe eye was dry." So its a nice balance between first and third person. Madeline and the girls from her orphanage o to London because the Ambassadors son missed the girls. The big picture of this story is that thing don't always work out they way you want them to, but it all works out in the end. ( )
  Becca-Friedel | Nov 1, 2016 |
I liked this book. I thought it was a good book because of the language Bemelmans uses. He uses simple language and rhyming phrases that draw the reader in. It makes the text more fun and engaging. I also enjoyed Bemelmans iconic illustrations. The are also simple, but they have a whimsical feel to them. Since this book is set in London, the illustrations also help the reader picture London in his or her head. This is important for a reader who has never been to London before. The big idea of this book is friendship. ( )
  lmorte1 | Oct 13, 2015 |
Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans
Madeline takes her fearlessness to London to follow up to the classic Madeline story. Like the original, the text is a rhyming masterpiece and I love that the story includes real London sights in it's illustrations, such as Buckingham Palace, Westiminster Alley, The Tower Bridge, and Trafaglar sqaure. Do be forwarned that there's little reference to making glue out of dead horses after a horse in the story is believed to be dead. Not to worry though the horses is not dead after all and the glue reference should sail right over the kids heads. After reading this to my pre-K class, I brought a globe ball with me and found where Paris and London were. Later in the day I noticed a few kids were playing airplane with my globe and they always ended up in London. A single book can really open doors for a kids imagination in a multicultural world we live in.
This is a Multicultural ( )
  Patrick-Shea14 | Oct 25, 2014 |
Summary: Madeline and her classmates from the boarding school that she attends travels to London on a trip. To meet up with Pepito the son of the Spanish ambassador.He used to live next door to the boarding school, but Pepito had to move which made him very upset. Madelines visit to London is a surprise for Pepito.

Personal reaction: I think for a younger audience this story is very adorable. You could see all the historical things that are associated with London in the pictures, as the story is being told. This book takes you on an excellent adventure.

Classroom extensions: Have the children talk about the historical landmarks that are seen the book, also do a small handout on fun facts about London that the children would not know.
  pambam_11 | Oct 17, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014056649X, Paperback)

What on earth could make Miss Clavel, Madeline, and her 11 nameless classmates leave belle Paris for the tea-and-crumpeted, sometimes trumpeted city of London? A mission to cheer up the lonely, thin, increasingly despondent Pepito, son of the Spanish ambassador, who had to move away from his house next door to Madeline's in Paris. In their efforts to cheer him up, and for a birthday surprise, Miss Clavel and the girls buy him a retired horse. All is fine until the horse gallops off at the sound of the trumpet to take his place at the head of the queen's Life Guards (his occupation before retiring). As readers whoosh through busy London scenes, we forget the horse has had nothing to eat all day. Upon his return to Pepito's home, he eats everything in sight: "The gardener dropped his garden hose. / There wasn't a daisy or a rose. / 'All my work and all my care / For nought! Oh, this is hard to bear.'" Meanwhile, as the horse is passed out from exhaustion and overeating, Pepito's mother says he has to go. And so Madeline and the others take the horse home with them to Paris, where "They brushed his teeth and gave him bread, / And covered him up / and put him to bed." Ludwig Bemelmans charms us again with the uniquely skewed logic and matter-of-fact madness of childhood that young readers will adore. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

Madeline and Miss Clavel's 11 other charges visit the Spanish ambassador's son in London, bringing him a horse as a gift. Adventures take place because of the gift.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible