Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans

Madeline in London

by Ludwig Bemelmans

Series: Madeline (5)

Madeline in London is a story about a boy, the son of an ambassador, who has to move from France to London because of his father’s job. He misses his friends so badly that he won’t eat or drink a thing. So, his friends, Madeline and her classmates, fly to London to visit and make their friend feel better. I really like that this story has a rhyme scheme. It makes it fun to read and engages the readers. What I did not care for was some of the word choice. Being that this book was written by a European, much of their vernacular is not similar to US vernacular. We don’t use many of the words in our daily life so young children would have difficulty pronouncing and understanding the text. I do, however, think the story should be in American classrooms because I like the story, the rhyme scheme can expose students to poetry and new vocabulary can be taught. ( )
  mdaly6 | Apr 11, 2017 |
Madeline is Singsong. It is what makes Madeline Madeline. This was quite possibly the cutest of all Madeline books. At the beginning, the "twelve little girls" monologue is covered on just one page that shows the girls taking turns reading each sentence/page to the reader. Madeline lovers will laugh and laugh at the adventures they get into this time. Bonus, Pepito is featured and an animal is rescued! ( )
  hannahmariebell | Mar 28, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 6, 2017 |
Madeline in London is a fun adventure where Madeline and the girls visit their dear friend Pepito while he and his family are away in London on business. While they are there, Madeline and Pepito of course manage to get themselves into trouble involving a horse that gets spooked. Although parts of the story are unrealistic, it is still enjoyable and imaginative. The playful nature of it would bring a smile to any child's face. ( )
  Jacki_H | Dec 3, 2016 |
I thought that this book was alright. I didn't like the style that the author used because it got to the point where the sing song nature was annoying. For example the author writes "Oh, for a cup of tea and crumpets--Hark, hark, there goes the sound of trumpets. These birds have seen all this before. But they are glad of an encore." Reading these few sentences just gets on my nerve and the whole book is like that. The illustration were a bit odd as well. The author designed the illustration for every other set of pages to be in color. The odd pages are in all yellow and black. To me I didn't see a point to this based on the text. I did like the balance between point of views. The book would switch between first person and third person, which I think helps to break up the monotony. One sentence says "Where's my celery, carrots, tomatoes, my beans and peas? And not an apple on my apple trees!" The next sentence says "Everybody had to cry. Not a singe eye was dry." So its a nice balance between first and third person. Madeline and the girls from her orphanage o to London because the Ambassadors son missed the girls. The big picture of this story is that thing don't always work out they way you want them to, but it all works out in the end. ( )
  Becca-Friedel | Nov 1, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014056649X, Paperback)

What on earth could make Miss Clavel, Madeline, and her 11 nameless classmates leave belle Paris for the tea-and-crumpeted, sometimes trumpeted city of London? A mission to cheer up the lonely, thin, increasingly despondent Pepito, son of the Spanish ambassador, who had to move away from his house next door to Madeline's in Paris. In their efforts to cheer him up, and for a birthday surprise, Miss Clavel and the girls buy him a retired horse. All is fine until the horse gallops off at the sound of the trumpet to take his place at the head of the queen's Life Guards (his occupation before retiring). As readers whoosh through busy London scenes, we forget the horse has had nothing to eat all day. Upon his return to Pepito's home, he eats everything in sight: "The gardener dropped his garden hose. / There wasn't a daisy or a rose. / 'All my work and all my care / For nought! Oh, this is hard to bear.'" Meanwhile, as the horse is passed out from exhaustion and overeating, Pepito's mother says he has to go. And so Madeline and the others take the horse home with them to Paris, where "They brushed his teeth and gave him bread, / And covered him up / and put him to bed." Ludwig Bemelmans charms us again with the uniquely skewed logic and matter-of-fact madness of childhood that young readers will adore. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

Madeline and Miss Clavel's 11 other charges visit the Spanish ambassador's son in London, bringing him a horse as a gift. Adventures take place because of the gift.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible