Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans

Madeline in London

by Ludwig Bemelmans

Series: Madeline (5)

Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans
Madeline takes her fearlessness to London to follow up to the classic Madeline story. Like the original, the text is a rhyming masterpiece and I love that the story includes real London sights in it's illustrations, such as Buckingham Palace, Westiminster Alley, The Tower Bridge, and Trafaglar sqaure. Do be forwarned that there's little reference to making glue out of dead horses after a horse in the story is believed to be dead. Not to worry though the horses is not dead after all and the glue reference should sail right over the kids heads. After reading this to my pre-K class, I brought a globe ball with me and found where Paris and London were. Later in the day I noticed a few kids were playing airplane with my globe and they always ended up in London. A single book can really open doors for a kids imagination in a multicultural world we live in.
This is a Multicultural ( )
  Patrick-Shea14 | Oct 25, 2014 |
Summary: Madeline and her classmates from the boarding school that she attends travels to London on a trip. To meet up with Pepito the son of the Spanish ambassador.He used to live next door to the boarding school, but Pepito had to move which made him very upset. Madelines visit to London is a surprise for Pepito.

Personal reaction: I think for a younger audience this story is very adorable. You could see all the historical things that are associated with London in the pictures, as the story is being told. This book takes you on an excellent adventure.

Classroom extensions: Have the children talk about the historical landmarks that are seen the book, also do a small handout on fun facts about London that the children would not know.
  pambam_11 | Oct 17, 2014 |
I loved the story “Madeline in London” for two main reasons. First of all, the lines rhyme, which give the story a song-like quality, and make it very fun to read along. For example, the line “The people below are stout and loyal, and those on the balcony mostly Royal” is a simple description of the scene, but sounds so playful due to the rhyming. Secondly, I really liked how every other page has yellow and grey illustrations, while the others are in full color. The drawings sometimes take up the entire page, and at other times a page features several small pictures. I’m not sure why this is, but it is nice to have a variety and some patterns within the story. The central theme of this story is comparing different countries and traditions: those of France with those of England. It is also about friendship, between Madeline and Pepito as well as with all of the girls and the horse they bring home to live with them in Paris. ( )
  ElizabethHaaser | Sep 20, 2014 |
Madeline and her friends are despondent that their friend, Pepito, has to travel to London when his father is reassigned. Not long after he is gone, though, the ambassador invites the whole school to come visit his family in London. His Pepito is eating little and thinning to nothing, all because he misses his friends. Miss Clavel wastes no time in ushering the girls unto a plane and over the channel, where they spend a lovely vacation time in the ambassador's house. They realize they forgot to bring Pepito a gift, however, and remember the boy said he always wanted a horse. Though buying a new horse is far too expensive, they find a place that gives away horses that are retired from duty.

Pepito is delighted with his gift, and he and Madeline hop on first. Of course, right at that moment a trumpet blares its call and the horse gallops off in fear. Miss Clavel and the other girls spend a portion of the book searching for their lost charges, giving the author a chance to illustrate famous scenes from London, in place of the expected Paris settings from other books. They eventually find the trio standing guard at the horse's previous place of employment. The adventure is still not over! That night, the poor hungry horse who was not fed, devours all the plants in the ambassador's garden. His wife is gracious in forgiveness, but declares the horse can't possibly stay. This prompts Miss Clavel to bring the horse back to France with them, where the horse becomes installed in the school house along with the girls.

Of the four Madeline books we recently received, this is my least favorite. The story was not very interesting, and not at all credible. Miss Clavel can just bring a horse into the boarding school, when a dog was out of the question? No one bothered to feed the poor animal after its crazy race through London? What's to stop Pepito from getting sick all over again once the girls leave? The plot is riddled with inconsistencies and unanswered questions, and the adventure feels like a contrived situation solely meant to get the girls in London. As much as I like the quirky humor that pops up in the Madeline series, the whole premise of riding a horse through London was less quirky and more absurd. Also, the writing was lackluster. The forced rhyme necessary to sustain couplets can be done well, and it can be artificial and awful. While earlier books occasionally slipped into the bad territory, they generally maintained a good whimsical flow. The language in this story is certainly contorted to fit the rhyme scheme. Redeeming qualities are few, but prevent me from completely disliking the book. The opening sequence is cute and clever, and affection for the characters from earlier stories remains attached to them in this outing, as well. The illustrations continue to be distinct and attractive. Nonetheless, I will likely choose other books from the Madeline series to read to my daughters. ( )
  nmhale | May 12, 2014 |
This is another excellent book in the Madeline series. The twelve little girls in two straight lines and Miss Clavel travel to London to visit Pepito, the Spanish ambassador's son, because he is feeling lonely since his family moved from Paris. I like this book because there are more illustrations with color in them, as opposed to some of Bemelmans' earlier Madeline books where most of the illustrations are yellow, black, and white. I think it adds more character to the story, and makes the British landmarks he drew much more interesting. I continue to enjoy the poetry aspect of his books, which add a great rhythm to the story. The part of the book that I found that this is best demonstrated is after they all return home: "Visiting is fun and gay-- / Let's celebrate a lovely day. / Everyone had been well fed, / Everyone was in his bed." The big idea of this story is never pass up on a chance to explore new things, which is demonstrated through Madeline and Pepito joining the parade on his new horse and Miss Clavel and the other eleven girls wandering through London looking for them, though they spend a lot of their time sightseeing. ( )
  lstec2 | Mar 7, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014056649X, Paperback)

What on earth could make Miss Clavel, Madeline, and her 11 nameless classmates leave belle Paris for the tea-and-crumpeted, sometimes trumpeted city of London? A mission to cheer up the lonely, thin, increasingly despondent Pepito, son of the Spanish ambassador, who had to move away from his house next door to Madeline's in Paris. In their efforts to cheer him up, and for a birthday surprise, Miss Clavel and the girls buy him a retired horse. All is fine until the horse gallops off at the sound of the trumpet to take his place at the head of the queen's Life Guards (his occupation before retiring). As readers whoosh through busy London scenes, we forget the horse has had nothing to eat all day. Upon his return to Pepito's home, he eats everything in sight: "The gardener dropped his garden hose. / There wasn't a daisy or a rose. / 'All my work and all my care / For nought! Oh, this is hard to bear.'" Meanwhile, as the horse is passed out from exhaustion and overeating, Pepito's mother says he has to go. And so Madeline and the others take the horse home with them to Paris, where "They brushed his teeth and gave him bread, / And covered him up / and put him to bed." Ludwig Bemelmans charms us again with the uniquely skewed logic and matter-of-fact madness of childhood that young readers will adore. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:56 -0400)

Madeline and Miss Clavel's 11 other charges visit the Spanish ambassador's son in London, bringing him a horse as a gift. Adventures take place because of the gift.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,809,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible