SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The Leopard (2009)

by Jo Nesbø

Series: Harry Hole (8)

In the depths of winter, a killer stalks the city streets. His victims are two young women, both found with inexplicable puncture wounds. The police are running out of options. Deeply traumatised by a previous investigation, Inspector Harry Hole has lost himself in the squalor of Hong Kong's opium dens. But with his father seriously ill, Harry reluctantly agrees to return to Oslo. He has no intention of working on the case, but his instinct takes over when an MP is found brutally murdered. The victims appear completely unconnected, but it's not long before Harry makes a discovery: the women all spent the night in an isolated mountain hostel. And someone is picking off the guests one by one.… (more)

English (79)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
Epic in scale and pages, covering several murders and two cities. Not as heart pounding as The Snowman but finely crafted nonetheless. The Leopold apple is a gruesome device of death. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
My reading mojo has been a little up and down recently so I really didn't know what book to read next. I have also been fairly short of time meaning my chances to read have been few and far between. This is the last Nesbo book that I actually have on my bookshelves so I decided to read it as I think I am two behind in the series already.

After the previous case Harry Hole is a broken and lost man and the book starts with a female detective having been sent to find him. This coincides with a new group of chilling murders which are wonderfully sadistic in their invention. The detective with an addictive personality was risking become a bit repetitive but there is a twist on this in the book which added a fresh perspective to it.

It feels as though Harry's lifestyle has taken a toll on him during the reading of the book. He remains pretty sharp mentally but age is catching up with him. He still remains the same determined, dogged and self destructive detective of the past but there is more reflective aspect creeping in. He also seems to be more vulnerable than he has in the past.

There is also a good mix of old and new characters in the book. Oleg & Rakel for example feature in the book but not heavily, I really liked this as it added some freshness to the story but maintained the connection to the past. There is new 'enemy within' but one who's relationship with Harry is complicated and something I think most of us can relate to in the work environment.

There are loads and loads of twists in the story, some I picked up on and others which left me stunned. At one point I actually swore out loud at what I had just read which elicited some funny looks from my work mates. There are a lot of geographical locations in the book so you need to keep on your toes so that you don't get lost.

This is a fantastic book. Every time i pick up the next Harry Hole book I expect a drop in performance but each one has been better than the last. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 24, 2021 |
To forget his lost loves (Rakel and Oleg), Harry Hole has fled to Hong Kong where he is hiding from his gambling losses, drinking and drugging. After two brutal murders, with a Leopold's apple (ya gotta read this to believe it), a detective (Kaja) is dispatched from Oslo to find/recruit Harry. When he refuses, they disclose his father is dying and he reluctantly returns to see his Crime Squad is battling Krispo for the right to lead murder investigations. When a member of Parliament seems to commit suicide, things begin to heat up. Harry is nearly killed in a avalanche and in an investigatory trip to the Republic of Congo. Yet, he finds the motive and the murderer (with help from a couple of surprising people from The Snowman.) ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
To Richard 05/02/21 ( )
  Beyerman | Feb 4, 2021 |
And another half star! I watched the film of The Snowman and enjoyed it a lot so I followed with this next Harry Hole adventure. It was pretty complicated, but also pretty rewarding because of that. Maybe for the next one I should write myself a character network as I go. I'm still not quite sure what happened to some of the characters like Beavis and Tresko - but I like that - good to leave some things unresolved or unknown. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
The Leopard, the sixth Harry Hole thriller (in English – but actually the eight in the Harry Hole series) by the internationally acclaimed Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo is outstanding. The plot twists and curls, and Harry Hole, an extraordinarily interesting man, becomes more and more fascinating. It is a joy to follow him as he out-foxes bosses and colleagues, alienates people left and right in the police force, and doles out justice Hole-style. The Leopard is a top notch, painfully suspenseful crime fiction, and quite possibly Jo Nesbo’s best. It’s a thick brick of a book, but far too short. I loved it. I am certain The Leopard is one of the best crime fiction books of 2011!

added by vancouverdeb | editNordic Book Blog

林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Арро, ТатьянаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She awoke.
Hon vaknade.
“She couldn’t hear anything, but she could sense a presence. Like a leopard. Someone had told her leopards made so little noise they could sneak right up to their prey in the dark. They could regulate their breathing so that it was in tune with yours. Could hold their breath when you held yours.”

De politie van Oslo staat voor een raadsel. Er zijn twee vrouwenlichamen gevonden, ze blijken verdronken in hun eigen bloed en hun gezichten zijn verminkt. Bizar detail is dat de verwondingen van binnenuit lijken te zijn gemaakt. Er is maar één man die bij deze zaak zou kunnen helpen, maar hij lijkt van de aardbodem verdwenen. Kaja Solness van de afdeling Moordzaken wordt op de zaak gezet en belandt bij haar zoektocht naar de verdwenen ex-commissaris in Hong-Kong. Hij blijkt op de vlucht voor de gevolgen van zijn laatste zaak, voor de vrouw die van hem houdt en voor zijn schuldeisers. Zijn is Harry Hole.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible