Blow Fly by Patricia Cornwell

Blow Fly (2003)

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: Kay Scarpetta (12)

English (37)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (46)
Very grim and unsavoury story about the sexual abuse and murder of women by psychopaths. Interesting insights into the American legal, policing and criminal treatment systems but not a pleasant read. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Jan 31, 2019 |
The saga continues.
Another page-turner Scarpitta
novel. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Mar 11, 2018 |
It has been a long while since I visited the world of Kay Scarpetta. In this installment of the series, Kay Scarpetta is a forensic pathologist, former Chief Medical Examiner of Virginia. She is called in to consult on the death of a wealthy woman who died of a drug overdose. Kay soon discovers that her death is tied into the organized crime family, the Chandonnes, with whom Kay has had intimate dealings with before. Jean-Baptiste Chandonne, the Wolf Man, sits on death row and is demanding an audience with Kay, wanting to share family secrets that could lead to the undoing of his family. Jay Talley, the fraternal twin of Jean-Baptiste, and his girlfriend, Bev Kiffin, are hiding out in the bayou where a rash of serial murders are occurring.

I found this book to be different from her previous ones in the series, the focus less about the crime and more about the loss, deception and relationships of the characters. In a way, it was a refreshing change from the dark and tension filled books Ms. Cornwell has given us in the past. I did like Blow Fly over all, although I admit that I missed the tension build up from her previous books--I just didn't feel it this time--and the ending disappointed me. In a way, it fit with the perspective that Ms. Cornwell was focusing not so much on the serial killings and Jean-Baptiste (those were mere subplots it seemed, quickly handled and disregarded in the end) and more so on the relationships. However, Ms. Cornwell spent so much time "in the heads" of all these characters that the ending felt rushed and was not very satisfying.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
By far the worse book I read in 2004. The character of Kay Scarpetta is inconsistent with previous books. She spends most of her time being bitchy and paranoid. 3 1/2 years after reading this book it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I loved Cornwell's Scarpetta and the earlier books. I always recommended them. After reading this, however, I have not managed to force myself to pick up another one. It's a shame. I would have given it 1/2 a star if I could. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Six years ago Benton Wesley was tortured and murdered. Since then life has become exceedingly difficult for Kay Scarpetta. Serial Killer Jean Baptiste Chardonne, the unwanted son of a crime cartel family, tried to make Kay one of his victims. When he was caught, he tried to turn the situation around and Kay was forced to go before a grand jury to defend her reputation and honor. Her one time lover Jay Talley, Jean-Baptist's fraternal twin, used her to find out if Benton told her anything about the Chardonne crime cartel.
Unable to live in her precious Virginia home, Kay moved to Del Rey Beach, Florida working as a free lance consultant. Talley and his lover are fugitives living in the bayou near Baton Rouge where ten women in fourteen months have disappeared. Jean-Baptiste is days away from state execution and wants to see Scarpetta. Marino's son is a lawyer for the Chardonne family and is a threat to all of Kay's friends. All those people are being played by one of the world's most intelligent puppet masters.

Patricia Cornwell is crafty in her use of the English language. She is able to play on the emotions of her readers. She has the rare skill of inducing discomfort in her readers' minds. "Blowfly" was written at the time that she seemed to have more compasion for her characters. Her more recent endeavous almost reads like she hates them. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harper, WaltCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them. Job 21:26
To Dr. Louis Cataldie, Coroner of East Baton Rouge Parish, A man of excellence, honor, humanity and truth---The world is a better place because of you.
Dr. Kay Scarpetta moves the tiny glass vial close to candlelight, illuminating a maggot drifting in a poisonous bath of ethanol.
ISBN 0143057448 and 0399151176 are abridged audiobooks. Please do not combine with the book since they are not the same works.

The world's number-one-bestselling crime writer is back with another scorching thriller featuring medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta. Dr. Kay Scarpetta has left Virginia in quest of peace but instead finds herself drawn into baffling, horrific murders in Florida. There she becomes entangled in an international conspiracy that confronts her with the shock of her life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425198731, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers are in for the shock of Kay Scarpetta's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:08 -0400)

Leaving Virginia in search of peace and quiet, Dr. Kay Scarpetta journeys to Florida, where a series of baffling murders entangles her in an international conspiracy that confronts her with the most unexpected circumstance of her life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,412,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible