Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (1950)

by Roland H. Bainton

"I cannot and will not recant!...Here I stand." This authoritative and inspiring story paints a vivid portrait of the crusader who spearheaded the Reformation. Considered one of the most readable biographies of Martin Luther, this volume looks at the German religious reformer and his influence on Western civilization. Martin Luther entered a monastery as a youth and as a man shattered the structure of the medieval church, speaking out against the corrupt religious practices of the time. His demand that the authority for doctrine and practice be scriptures, rather than popes or councils, echoed around the world and ignited the great Reformation. Accused of heresy and threatened with excommunication and death, Luther maintained his bold stand and refused to recant. In his crusade to eliminate religious abuses, he did more than any other man to establish the Protestant faith. With sound historical scholarship and penetrating insight, Roland Bainton examines Luther's widespread influence. He re-creates the spiritual setting of the sixteenth century, showing Luther's place within it and influence upon it. Here I Stand dramatically brings to life Martin Luther, the great reformer.… (more)

what a wonderful surprise of a book!!! i had no background on it... but WOW!!! more than a biography... lots of explaining and reconciling. this book is GREAT! ( )
  Isaiah40 | Sep 7, 2021 |
Great!

This was a great book. It brought Martin Luther’s life.... to life. I have always loved reading about Luther but this really helped synthesize all of the history that I have read about him. The book was well written and I found it easy to read. ( )
  donbarger | Mar 27, 2020 |
Here I Stand : A Life of Martin Luther, by Roland Bainton, is considered one of the best biographies of Luther. It has been a classic for many years and is easy to read and has many woodcut illustrations. This is one of the source books Dr. Dwight Johnson used in writing his wonderful play. It is found in the Biography section under the number B/LUT.
  salem.colorado | Sep 23, 2017 |
Review from Library Thing:

Martin Luther was one of the titans of the Protestant Reformation. It was Luther, along with John Calvin and Huldrych Zwingli, who gave the Reformation its defining and enduring shape, influencing it in ways that continue today. This biography by Bainton is perhaps not exhaustive, but it is comprehensive, as it considers Luther’s life and times. We look into his life and see how Luther’s overriding passion, i.e. the love of God above all else and the consequent desire to reform the church, according to God’s self-revelation in the Bible played out on the stage of 16th century Europe.

Luther didn’t plan to reform the church. Following his father’s wishes he was studying to become a lawyer. But he had an experience that set him on a different path, one which began benignly as he fulfilled a vow to become a monk. And to use a modern phrase, one thing led to another, and Christianity has never been the same.

Bainton honestly explores the different phases of Luther’s life, pointing out both the highs and the lows. I was a little familiar with both aspects of Luther’s life previous to reading this book and found that there was much more to learn about Luther and the way he intersected with his time and its culture. An example would be from some of the polemical material of Luther’s late career, where Bainton highlights the nuances that we don’t easily appreciate 500 years later.

Bainton has painted a rich portrait of a complex man, a man who above all served a sovereign, gracious and holy God. It is a biography written over 60 years ago but which has held up well for good reason. I highly commend it.

BradKautz Jul 1, 2013

To
My Partner
in the
"School for Character"
On a sultry day in July of the year 1505 a lonely traveler was trudging over a parched road on the outskirts of the Saxon village of Stotternheim.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,859,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible