Chimera by Rob Thurman
208488,653 (3.91)8
"Ten years ago, Stefan Korsak's younger brother was kidnapped. No one knew who took Lukas, or why . . . . As a rising figure in the Russian Mafia, Stefan has finally found him. But when he rescues Lukas, Stefan must confront a terrible truth-- his brother is no longer his brother. He is a killer. Trained, brainwashed, and genetically transformed into a flesh-and-blood machine with only one purpose: assassination." -- Cover, p. [4]… (more)

I read far into Thurman's Cal Leandros series, and this first book in a new series feels like a more science fiction-based riff of her Cal books. This has positives--namely, her brotherly banter is fantastic and feels real. Her action scenes are great. However, many of the dynamics felt similar (older brother with a major guilt problem) and the villain felt too "ha ha! I am evil." It's a fast read, and fun in a lot of ways, though it's not a series I'll continue. ( )
  ladycato | Jul 17, 2014 |
OMG. That was an ending!!! I just can't get over it. I WANT MORE!

ok, fangirl moment done.

I find it hard to read a book written by Rob Thurman without comparing it to the Cal Leandros books. This was no different... it has all the ruthlessness I've come to expect, although without the sarcastic comic interludes. She has a way with turning a phrase that makes me literally laugh in the most gruesome situations.

Stefan may not be the same big brother as Niko, but he certainly wants to do what is best for his missing younger brother. What he uncovers will turn his world upside down... not much I can say without spoiling this book.

It actually reminded me of the Dark Angel TV series. ( )
  Radella | Nov 14, 2010 |
thoroughly enjoyed - much better than expected ( )
  WinonaBaines | Sep 24, 2010 |
I really enjoy Rob Thurman's writing, so even though this is science fiction, and not her usual urban fantasy, I didn't hesitate to order it. It took a while to get into the book. I think because the first 90 pages are spent introducing Stefan and his less than glamorous life as mob royalty and thug. The exposition was too long, and is the reason for 4 stars instead of 5. However, once he locates and rescues his brother, the story picks up.

The Amazon blurb pretty much covers the plot - Lukas/Michael has been genetically modified to be an assassin. Stefan could care less, he has his brother back. On the run from the people who created him, the brothers bond and some unexpected surprises emerge. I've read more than one science fiction book with this same plot, and I did guess the twist at the end. But what makes this worthwhile is the very same thing that makes the Cal Leandros series so good - the bond of brotherhood between the two men. Actually, Niko and Cal could easily be swapped for Stefan and Michael. One is a deadly fighter by necessity, the other a "monster" who had no say in his creation. And though there is a fair amount of action, what kept me turning the pages was seeing these two rebuild a relationship. The wisecracks, the sorrow, the joy at newfound emotions. It is a family drama hidden within a thriller.

This was intended as a stand-alone novel, and it does. Though it isn't strong enough to be a series, the end left room for a sequel which I would love to read. These two have unfinished business. Recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | Jul 7, 2010 |
"What a chimera then is man! What a novelty! What a monster, what a chaos, what a subject of contradiction, what a prodigy! A judge of all things, a feeble worm of the earth; depositary of truth, a cloaca of uncertainty and error: the pride and refuse of the universe." Blaise Pascal
"Death hath a thousand doors to let out life." Phillip Massinger
To Lucienne, who believed
He dreamed of sun, wind, and horses.

Rob Thurman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,645,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible