Murder of Angels by Caitlín R. Kiernan

Murder of Angels

by Caitlín R. Kiernan

4 1/2 star Review.
Although I have never really been one for reading of a series, I really LOVED this sequel to Silk, and found it could stand very well on its own. I am very fond of the beautiful language used, the most graphic and gory scenes were written out so that you find a dark beauty in it. The characters are unforgettable, I found myself routing for the Hierophant. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, Kiernan created an entire underworld of monsters so well, that you have no idea who is evil and who is good as they are all so amazing.
I would have rated it 5 solid stars, except the ending came to such an abrupt halt, it felt un-finished. I knocked half a star off for that, although I feel foolish even doing so, because I feel greedy and selfish, the author has her own reasons for such an ending, I just walked away feeling a bit unsatisfied and unsettled- but I guess that is the point when you venture into this unknown genre.
This is horror fantasy at its greatest, and there is no other author such as Kiernan!
I place her high in the ranks of my favorite authors ever! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Although it doesn't say it anywhere on/in the book, this is a sequel to 'Silk.' I've already read Silk, so that was convenient. However, this works perfectly well as a stand-alone novel. The events of the past are a significant, driving force to the plot, but they're explained, as necessary, as the book moves forward. The overall feeling is like that of real life, when one meets a person and significant events have already occurred in their lives. Fiction often fails to convey that; this succeeds.

I wouldn't say the book is completely successful, however. The setup is good - Niki is a disturbed, seemingly schizophrenic woman, taken care of by her frequently absent, rock star wife, Daria, who has her own problems. Niki cannot get past the horrific, supernatural events of ten years prior, and isn't sure if they are the product of her mental illness or not. As this is a supernatural horror novel, it's not much of a spoiler to say "they're not."
However, I felt that the fantasy world that ends up figuring in the plot wasn't as sharply drawn as it could have been, and the big showdown lacks the dramatic tension it had the potential for.
Still, I do like this writer. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book and very much liked the story. Unfortunately, I read it before reading Silk. I was able to follow the story and appreciate the characters (speaking of - that is one of the main reasons why Kiernan is one of my favorite authors - she expertly draws flawed characters and compels your empathy for them, even if you don't *like* them) and their roles in it, but I think the story and characters would have been richer if I had the foundation of the first book.

I'd like to give it 3.5 stars, and I really wish Amazon would enable such an option. My rating may change to 4 stars once I read Silk... ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
I picked up this book because of Kiernan's fabulous and very creepy short story in Lovecraft Unbound, "Houses Under the Sea". This horror novel is disturbing and weird in the best way, and I can see why she is the Lovecraftian heir after reading it. The writing is beautiful and nightmarish but I'm not sure I followed all of the plot; then again, with the unreliable narrators (schizophrenics and alcoholics and other tormented people), I'm not sure it's supposed to be wholly figured out. The setting -- the real world and this Lovecraftian alternate reality -- are equally vivid and it's upsetting for everybody when they start bleeding together. This is a tough one to rate -- I wasn't hanging on every second (in fact, I put it down a few times and forced myself to pick it back up) because sometimes the internal narratives got too weighty and I didn't see how it all came together, but Kiernan's writing is so fabulous that I was constantly in awe. ( )
1 vote Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
The abyss becomes me, I wear this chaos well... -VNS nation, "Genesis" 2002
Dark revolving in silent activity:
Unseen in tormenting passions;
An activity unknown and horrible;
A self-contemplating shadow,
In enormous labours occupied.
-William Blake, The Book of Urizen (1794)
For the Green Fairy, who surely got me through this one

And for Spooky, who gets me through everything else

In memory of Elizabeth Tillman Aldridge (1970-1995)
I will hold you to the light,
that's what forever mean.
-Brudershaft, "Forever"
On past the scurry and endless, breaking dreams of Manhattan, north and east past all the sour rivers and the industrial tatters of Greenwich and Bridgeport, and as the miles and towns slip by, there are still hints of the world before.

Ten years ago, Niki Ky and Daria Parker saw something unspeakable in an old house in Birmingham, Alabama. Daria has denied it, escaping into a frantic music career and various addictions. But Niki has not had so many distractions. Diagnosed schizophrenic, she's lost years in a haze of therapy and anti-psychotics.

But now, Niki's dead lover, Spyder Baxter, is calling to her from another world-an alien, impossible place where Niki is known as a Hierophant, a feared prophesied sorceress who can open a portal between worlds. And Daria will finally have to face what really happened ten years ago, if she's to help Niki save a world...or destroy it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:37 -0400)

Ten years after witnessing something unspeakable in an old Alabama house, successful musician Daria Parker and schizophrenic Niki Ky are drawn back together to stop the opening of a portal between worlds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,430,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible