The Darkest Passion

by Gena Showalter

8192920,557 (4.07)6
For weeks, the immortal warrior Aeron has sensed an invisible female presence. An angel--demon-assassin--has been sent to kill him. Or has she? Olivia claims she fell from the heavens, giving up immortality because she couldn't bear to harm him. But trusting--and falling for--Olivia will endanger them all. So how has this mortal with the huge blue eyes already unleashed Aeron's darkest passion?… (more)

pb ( )
  5083mitzi | Mar 22, 2021 |
A Story That Invoked Many of My Emotions.

I love Gena Showalter's writing style; the prose she uses, the pace of her plots, the twists and turns she takes us on and how she concludes the main romantic aspect and imminent threats while still leaving some tantalising threads that lure you to keep reading the series.

I really liked how this book contained more than just the romance between Aeron and Olivia, there's the background story arc surrounding the Lords' arch ememy Galen and his Hunter's as well as other threads about different Lords. Every aspect of this story is there for a reason and propels the series forward.

I ended up really enjoying The Darkest Passion, hence the 4 stars and thought the story was good, but for a large proportion of time it was a 3 star read and I just want to explain why.

When reading paranormal romance, I need the female protagonist to be intelligent, resilient, resourceful, self-reliant and have plenty of gumption; throughout most of this story, there were a many aspects of Olivia's personality that really irritated me. As an angel, she was a beautiful soul, empathetic and loving but becoming human brought out idiosyncrasies - selfishness, agression, she became a bully - that plagued me and drove me to actually hate her. In my mind, she didn't deserve Aeron.

Aeron was a male that ticked all my boxes and I already had a soft spot for him from the previous books; he was definitely alpha, loyal, had depth and deserved someone to love him. I love tortured, cursed heroes.

Due to the explicit sexual content and graphic violence, I would recommend this book to adults who are not offended by scenes of this nature who enjoy romance stories about the complexities of relationships, about trust, loyalty and betrayal and of course, insurmountable odds and soul saving love.

I am definitely engaged in the Lords of the Underworld series and I have already bought the next book in this series and can't wait to read more. ( )
  -Flora- | Nov 8, 2020 |
Pretty good book, but I had a hard time getting into the premise of the couple. They were hot and heavy together, sure, and wow, her life has been rough, but the relationships of the Titans are getting incredibly fantastic and complicated. I'm not sure who is on whose side and for what reasons at this point. I like that Showalter keeps the other story lines moving in the background so that they don't stall out. It will be interesting to see where those go as well. And the overarching war continues to increase in intensity with seemingly higher stakes. Definitely a series I will catch up on quickly this year. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
The Darkest Passion
3 Stars

Synopsis
Olivia is a warrior angel charged with assassinating Aeron, the keeper of Wrath, but refuses to carry out her mission and is exiled from Heaven. Fascinated by the fallen angel who claims to have forfeited immortality to experience life and love with him, Aeron finds himself torn between fulfilling his desire for Olivia and appeasing his faithful demon companion, Legion, who will do anything to dispose of the angel...

Note: This series MUST be read in order otherwise it is virtually impossible to follow the storyline and references to secondary characters.

Review
While I am thoroughly enjoying this series, The Darkest Passion does not live up to expectations. The first 1/4 of the book is slow and disjointed. Nevertheless, the pace eventually picks up and the last 1/4 is exciting. I also dislike the introduction of Christian lore into a series that has previously focused on elements from Greek myth. Each mythology is compelling in its own right but they do not mesh well.

After reading The Darkest Kiss and The Darkest Pleasure, Aeron's book was at the top of my list but, unfortunately, his romance with Olivia falls flat on its face. They have absolutely no chemistry and their relationship feels forced.

Olivia is the worst type of heroine - passive, needy and insipid. Her status as a fallen angel is the most interesting thing about her but this fails to reach its potential either in her thoughts or actions as demonstrated by her constant need to remind both Aeron and the reader that she is actually fallen. She is constantly throwing herself at Aeron and fawning over him even when he rejects her - "confident and aggressive" NOT!

Aeron lacks emotional depth and goes from hunky alpha to wimpy omega. Despite the build up of his demon in previous installments, it is completely under-utilized here and all we get from him is the repeated "mine, mine, mine".

Legion is obnoxious and manipulative. I have no idea what Aeron sees in her and I just want her to die already. The twists involving her character her pact with Lucifer, the possibility that Aeron will have sex with her and her encounter with Galen are seriously creepy.

That said, the book is worth reading for the secondary cast and the progression of their individual stories - Gideon and Scarlet's past history, William and Gilly's budding relationship (hope she is the one to finally put him in his place) and the hints at Paris and Sienna's reunion are all very appealing as are the cameo appearances by Pandora and Baden (wonder what's going on there).

The twists and turns in the series story arc are also a highlight - the hunters are getting stronger and more devious, the Unspoken Ones have put a wrench in the works and some strange alliances are emerging.

Looks like there are interesting developments to come and hopefully Gideon and Scarlet's romance will be an improvement. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Fantastic and my very new favorite of the series. I absolutely loved Olivia and all her strength of will yo get what she wanted and what she had to get through to get it. Aeron was amazing too, with having all this double edged swords pointing at him and always trying to make a terrible situation better. The secondary stories have me all excited to read the next installments and find out more about these awesome people. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
They don't seem to care that they're dying."
Aeron, an immortal warrior possessed by the demon of Wrath, was perched atop the roof of the Bubajos Apartments in central Budapest, peering down at the humans so blithely going about their evening.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,101,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible