Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell

Falling In (2010)

by Frances O'Roark Dowell

Middle-schooler Isabelle Bean follows a mouse's squeak into a closet and falls into a parallel universe where the children believe she is the witch they have feared for years, finally come to devour them.

I usually like Dowell's stories. This one, no so much. ( )
  RobertaLea | Jul 5, 2019 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 27, 2017 |
Apparently, I have read this book before. It was recommended to me as a good audiobook and listening to it NOTHING was familiar. Jessica Almasy does a wonderful job narrating this fantasy. Obviously, for me she made it more memorable than reading the book.
Isabelle Bean, a twelve-year-old girl in the present day and who marches to her own fantasical drummer, falls into another world, where she fits in quite nicely. The nuances of her personality with all its quirks, are brought to life with the narration. Wonderful audiobook. ( )
  geraldinefm | Feb 9, 2015 |
Isabelle Bean is one of those girls who seems to be in her own little world. She's in sixth grade and has no real friends as the other girls find her a bit odd. So, she's not entirely surprised when she opens a closet and falls through into another world, kind of like Alice, but without all the annoying characters. In the other world she finds all the children on the run from a witch. But instead of joining them on their trek to the safe camps, she sets out to find the witch. After all, what could me more interesting than meeting a witch, even if she does eat children?

I just finished reading this charming book to my (almost) 8 year old daughter, and we both loved it. The writing style is perhaps the best part of it - very confidential and story-telling-like, with frequent interruptions and asides to explain and develop the story line - it was really a lot of fun to read aloud. But the characters are likeable and endearing as well: the quirky misfit Isabelle, the solid and down-to-earth Hen, and the kindly old herb woman Grete. The language feels a bit advanced (more on a level for my 11 year old daughter, who also enjoyed it) and I occasionally had to stop and explain what was happening (I'd say grades 4-6 appropriate, but I almost think I appreciated the "story-telling" style more than my girls did). The story gets a bit tense with realistic dangers that kept us from wanting to put it down. But don't be misled by the "fantasy" label being applied to this book. When I think of "fantasy" novels I think of elves and fairies and magical creatures. This was nothing like that, and beyond the "Alice-in-Wonderland" entrance of "falling in" to another world (with a faintly medieval setting), there wasn't much "fantasy" to it. Very cute story and highly recommended. ( )
  J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |

J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |
For my brother De, who helped me make up the story about the carnival under the family room closet, and for my brother Doug, who believed us.
On the morning this story begins, Isabelle Bean was convinced she was teetering on the edge of the universe.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,110,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible