Raven's Gate (2005)

by Anthony Horowitz

Series: The Gatekeepers (1)

Sent to live in a foster home in a remote Yorkshire village, Matt, a troubled fourteen-year-old English boy, uncovers an evil plot involving witchcraft and the site of an ancient stone circle.
    Three of Diamonds by Anthony Horowitz (jasonpx2014)
    jasonpx2014: This is another fantastic and wonderful novel published by Anthony Horowitz. "Raven's Gate" is an interesting novel to read about from the series of "Power of Five" The genre is the same from the series of "Diamond Brothers Mysteries" In my opinion, the "Power of Five" series is better to read about than the "Diamond Brothers Mystery" So if you are confused with which series to read about first, I recommend you to read the "Power of Five"… (more)

English (58)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (60)
Anthony Horowitz had always intrigued me as an author for the simplicity of his book covers despite how many pages were inside the adult novels. I had never read a Horowitz book and was eager to see his style. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that this book was the embodiment of horror. ( )
  HeidiSV | Apr 22, 2022 |
A good book, a young adult horror ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
I read this book several years ago and apparently liked it because I gave it 4 stars and remember finding it super scary. But now having reread it I dont know what I was thinking. This book is ableist drivel (disabled people are either icky and "hardly human" or creepy and mystical) and not scary so much as it was gross. Also quite unoriginal with its villans (oh no, evil lady witches with black cats and inverted crucifixes!) and terrible pacing. I used to devour those Alex Rider stories when I was younger but this Horowitz book is a real stinker. ( )
  mutantpudding | Jan 3, 2022 |
Matt is involved in a robbery where a guard is stabbed, and as part of a rehab program, he is sent to a small isolated town near York. While his guardian masquerades as a stern taskmaster, she is part of a coven trying to resurrect the Old Ones via the Raven's Gate, a circle of stones like Stonehenge, with Matt's blood sacrifice as the key element. Everyone who tries helping the 14-year old dies horribly, but he is at least educated by a group called the Nexus, who are dedicated to defeating evil. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
RGG: Excellent read. A sci-fi, horror Outsiders read-alike. Hi-lo for 8th Grade. Solid 7th Grade read.
  rgruberexcel | Nov 18, 2019 |

Horowitz, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

(Pretty long description)
(Summary) This book was about a boy who got caught stealing DVDs with his friend and a guard was stabbed. He was then used in a test called the LEAF project and sent to a place called Lesser Malling close to York. He then gets involved in an epic adventure of strange towns people and roads leading nowhere. It all lead up to Raven’s Gate, facing near death, Matthew Freeman stops Raven’s Gate from reforming. He found out that he was one of the five children who had saved the world from the Old Ones and will have to do it again; he also finds that he has special powers he can almost control.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,943,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible