And Justice There Is None by Deborah Crombie

And Justice There Is None

by Deborah Crombie

Series: Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James (8)

Gemma James is adjusting to professional and personal changes that include her eagerly sought promotion to the rank of inspector--and a future now intricately entwined with Duncan Kincaid. But her new responsibilities are put to the test when she is placed in charge of a particularly brutal homicide: The lovely young wife of a wealthy antiques dealer has been found murdered on fashionable Notting Hill. Dawn Arrowood was six weeks pregnant. Her lover, Alex Dunn, a porcelain dealer in London's bustling Portobello Market, appears absolutely devastated by her death, but Gemma's the main focus of investigation is soon Karl Arrowood, who had the most powerful motive for killing his unfaithful wife. But this case sets off warning bells for Duncan: it's far too similar to an unsolved murder in which an antiques dealer was killed in precisely the same way and when the escalating violence claims yet another victim, he and Gemma find themselves at increasing odds with each other---as two separate investigations become linked in the most startling of ways. Their hunt for a killer will traverse the teeming stalls of the city's antiques markets to a decades-in-the-making vendetta of history and hatred that has been honed to a flawless, deadly point. To solve this case, Gemma and Duncan must walk a merciless razor's edge through a place where true justice will be a long time coming.… (more)

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
I found And Justice There is None to be one of the best of the series.This case's characters, layers of complexities, how Angel's back story connects, the dialogue and timing are all well done.

The richness of Duncan's and Gemma's busy lives both professional and personal add to the mix to make for an engaging, addictive read.
  Bookish59 | Jan 12, 2020 |
I liked this a lot more then the last book in this series. The murder mystery here is twisty enough to keep me guessing, and I enjoyed the progress in the relationship between the leads here. ( )
  duchessjlh | Dec 20, 2019 |
Not bad, but mostly mediocre. I'm not sorry I read it, but I don't feel inclined to read anymore of them (in that series). ( )
  keithostertag | Nov 26, 2019 |
I am usually hesitant about being introduced to a new book series by beginning with other than the first book. I took a chance here and was pleasantly surprised. Crombie does a good job in making her main characters three-dimensional, almost too good, in fact! The story was interesting; in short, a good read. ( )
  TGPistole | Apr 1, 2019 |
AND JUSTICE THERE IS NONE by Deborah Crombie is Book #8 in her Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James mystery series.
This book is excellently plotted with very interesting characters and situations. I like the emphasis on location. (In this book we learn about the history of the Notting Hill area of London.) There are layers of ‘back stories’ which all come together at the end.
This period is a very difficult one for Gemma and Duncan’s personal and professional relationship.
All of the ‘endings’ leave the reader with a great sense of sadness.
Highly recommended title and series. ( )
  diana.hauser | Feb 15, 2019 |

Crombie, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chergé, Gérard deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deehy, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jäger, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun no longer shows
His face; and treason sows
His secret seeds that no man can detect;
Fathers by their children are undone;
The brother would the brother cheat;
And the cowled monk is a deceit...
Might is right, and justice there is none.

Walther von der Vogelweide
For Nanny
He ran, as so many others ran, the black anorak protecting him from the mist, the reflective patches on his trainers gleaming as he passed under the street lamps.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,682,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible