A Natural History Of Love by Diane Ackerman

A Natural History Of Love

by Diane Ackerman

all over the place. interesting but hard to remember because it's all over the place. ( )
  mahallett | May 17, 2016 |
Ackerman, in this 1993 non-fiction book, takes the reader through the history of love and its many variations through different euro-centric cultures. She wanders from ancient Egypt to Grecian and Roman love; and to courtly love and modern love (re: the 90s). Ackerman also touches on the science of love and why it is such a necessary emotion to the prosperity of the human race.

The prose as well as her stories related to love and its variations is enough to keep a reader engaged throughout the 300+ page book, and while the science and anthropology is now outdated (and some has been debunked completely- see her section on the Ik tribe, for example) seeing how thoughts on love, and science itself, has changed (and how so much has still stayed the same) since the publication of this book over twenty years ago is fascinating and engaging. (Finding out where the word “fascinating” came from is an adventure in itself!)

It can be hard to read an older title that includes scientific data because of the inaccuracies that are bound to be found, but Ackerman is hitting on a topic that still holds many truths, beyond science, within human history and psyche. Hopefully picking up this book will encourage readers’ interest enough that they will (as I have) pursue the ideas Ackerman lays out into the current year. I personally, after reading A Natural History of Love, am interested in seeing what Ackerman thinks of love in Millennium. With online dating at an all time high, now normalized; and with social media and technology so advanced and commonly used in this era; a second edition with updated information and a new chapter on modern love would be interesting to see! ( )
  Rituleen | Jan 18, 2016 |
Her prose- it is so... purple! So thickly, densely written, with lavish adjectives. Lavish adjectives? See, now it's happening to me too.
I need to reread this, because I don't remember specifics bits of love history and lore, only the sense of her prose being over the top. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

The bestselling author of A Natural History of the Senses now explores the allure of adultery, the appeal of aphrodisiacs, and the cult of the kiss. Enchantingly written and stunningly informed, this "audaciously brilliant romp through the world of romantic love" (Washington Post Book World) is the next best thing to love itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:46 -0400)

A wide-ranging examination of human affection in history, literature, biology, and pop culture.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,162,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible