A Natural History Of Love by Diane Ackerman

A Natural History Of Love

by Diane Ackerman

584None16,874 (3.61)5

Her prose- it is so... purple! So thickly, densely written, with lavish adjectives. Lavish adjectives? See, now it's happening to me too.
I need to reread this, because I don't remember specifics bits of love history and lore, only the sense of her prose being over the top. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
"Some random disconnected ruminations on my personal experience with love and other vaguely related topics" would be nearer the mark. Ackerman is apparently comfortable with homosexual love only at the safe distance of ancient Egypt or Greece; it's mentioned in both of those early sections, which I found encouraging, but not a word in the later sections (despite being written in the early 1990s.) The initial section about the history of love and marriage is actually pretty interesting, but when she gets into the "Here are some other things people love - girls love horses and men love cars, and people love children so let's talk about surgeons fixing cleft palates, and I love my hair!" midsection the book collapses. ( )
  lorax | Aug 28, 2013 |

The bestselling author of A Natural History of the Senses now explores the allure of adultery, the appeal of aphrodisiacs, and the cult of the kiss. Enchantingly written and stunningly informed, this "audaciously brilliant romp through the world of romantic love" (Washington Post Book World) is the next best thing to love itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:11 -0400)

A wide-ranging examination of human affection in history, literature, biology, and pop culture.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,435,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible