The Century by Peter Jennings

OK, this isn't the type of book you sit and read from front to back, but it's worth reading pockets of it. It's amazing how much is crammed into this book, not that it's small.

I ended up using sections of this book as a resource for some writing. I thought initially that the section might have been to thin on information, but further research at multiple websites had it standing up quite well.

RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Good for heritage or decade projects, also could be used to highlight certain history lessons.
  Climbing-books | Dec 18, 2014 |
I picked this book up at the thrift store for $5. I think this might be the single best thrift store deal ever!

Anyway... I really enjoyed this book. My only wish is that there were more "personal accounts" throughout; I like reading about historical events, but I really enjoy the 1st hand account that only a person who lived the event can give.

That being said, I think that Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster did a good job cramming this book full of just about everything that happened since 1900. I would say that this was a pretty admirable accomplishment. ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
I think my favorite thing about this book is the pictures. *hangs head in shame* I've read parts of it, but am blown away by the richness of the photos on the pages. ( )
  srfbluemama | Jun 14, 2009 |
3282. The Century, by Peter Jennigs and Todd Brewster (read Dec 30, 1999) I suppose this book is intended to lay on a coffee table and be browsed, but I read it cover to cover. There is much good in it, and its 100 book bibliography is worth the price of the book. Reviewing that list, I found I had read 41 of the 100 listed, and nearly all were really great reading. I thought reading this volume was an appropriate way to end the 1900s. (I was surprised and annoyed that the book is not well designed--the margins next to the spine are at times too narrow. One would not have to be a genuis in book design to realize the margins next to the spine should be greater than those next to the outer edge, I would have thought.) ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Dec 1, 2007 |

Peter Jenningsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brewster, Toddmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385483279, Hardcover)

"We have sought," write Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster, "to distinguish our story from other histories by holding each chapter up to a litmus test: Have we looked at this time from the perspective of someone who lived through it? And in doing so, have we captured a sense not only of the events of a particular era, but of the mood, the prevailing attitudes?" Thus, the experiences of ordinary men and women come to life in sidebars that appear throughout The Century. Sharpe James, the mayor of Newark, New Jersey, recalls the sense of excitement and possibility he felt when Jackie Robinson became the first black ballplayer in the major leagues. Gilles Ryan remembers what it was like to be a high-school student in Dayton, Tennessee, during the Scopes Trial. Connie Chang talks about emigrating to the United States from Korea and establishing a liquor store in Los Angeles, only to have it destroyed in the civil unrest.

Comparisons to Harold Evans's The American Century are, perhaps, inevitable, but in addition to the emphasis on ordinary lives, The Century is further distinguished by the effective use of color photography (as well as several black-and-white shots). The book's sweeping narrative, shaped by Jennings and Brewster's comprehensive text, also flows a bit more smoothly than Evans's telegraphic prose; one can almost imagine Jennings reciting from these pages as he hosts the ABC/History Channel documentaries to which this book is a companion piece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

For the past seven years, researchers, reporters, and producers for ABC News have searched the world's archives for the rarest and most stunning photographs and images, consulted eminent twentieth-century historians, and discovered and interviewed hundreds of eyewitnesses and participants in the significant moments of the most eventful one hundred years in human history. The result is this book, the independent companion volume to the landmark ABC News and The History Channel television series The Century. Co-written by ABC News Anchor Peter Jennings and Senior Editorial Producer Todd Brewster, The Century features a narrative of extraordinary quality that tracks major themes - the impact of technology, the soaring of the imagination, the ghastly violence, the joy of entertainment - through chronological chapters recounting the signal moments of each era in the century.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,644,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible