The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything

by James Martin SJ

A practical, spiritual guidebook based on the life and teachings of St. Ignatius of Loyola shows readers how to manage relationships, money, work, prayer, and decision making, while keeping a sense of humor about life.

The new pope is from the Americas, but I think the bigger story is that the new pope is from the Jesuits. Rev. Martin has been a TV talking head during the conclave but doesn't address the papacy here. His book is about the Jesuit worldview, and he does fill in some gaps in a Catholic upbringing supervised by two parents from Marquette. St. Ignatius' use of reason and imagination is distinctly modern and Zen-like in this telling. Martin makes his best case for poverty and chastity, but he's more likely to attract converts with suggestions on how to cultivate friends and handle setbacks. When packing for Mom's move I flipped through my father's prayer book from the Jesuit Retreat House on Lake Winnebago, then put the missal in the giveaway pile. Probably the Jesuit thing to do. Then I downloaded the breviary app. Not checking it as frequently as Twitter but there's hope for me yet.
  rynk | Jul 11, 2021 |
Wonderful book, Although I personally learnt some of the things in my own and from other friends, this book helped me to connect all the methods. I think all Christian traditions have similar insights on Spirituality.
I would thank this author for helping me to understand the quote in a more profound way, "Take God in all things in your life." ( )
  gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |
  gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |
Lent book 2017. An introduction to the Jesuits, and a practical guide to ways to pray, and how to find God in your daily life. ( )
  atreic | Jun 21, 2017 |
In light of James Martin's harassment--without any understanding of the context of the situation--of a priest and order of sisters who were accused of something without proof, I no longer want a review or rating on a book of his on my Goodreads. I also intend to get rid of my copy of this book. Good thing I got it used so I didn't give this man any money. ( )
1 vote ComposingComposer | Feb 26, 2017 |
The Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and associate editor of America, the Jesuit magazine — and a very funny, and fine man — has written a new book for those interested in borrowing from Jesuit tenets to live simpler lives. It's called The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life.
added by bongiovi | editNPR (Mar 6, 2010)

He writes in The Jesuit Guide that "within the Christian tradition, all spiritualities, no matter what their origins, have the same focus — the desire for union with God, an emphasis on love and charity, and a belief in Jesus as the Son of God."

Martin SJ, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, SuzyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fratribus carissimis in Societate Jesu (To my very dear brothers in the Society of Jesus)
Who is St. Ignatius Loyola, and why should you care?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,197,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible