The Knights of the Kitchen Table by Jon…

The Knights of the Kitchen Table (1991)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Adam McCauley (Illustrator), Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Series: Time Warp Trio (1)

Adventure, comedy, and magic blend together as the members of the Time Warp Trio--Joe, Sam, and Fred--look through a mysterious book and find themselves in King Arthur's time being pursued by the evil Black Knight. Reprint. AB. SLJ.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
Recommended by Catherine D.

Three friends at a birthday party travel back in time thanks to a magician uncle's gift of a book. Joe, Fred, and Sam find themselves fighting the Black Knight and joining King Arthur's court before figuring out how to get themselves back to the present.

Reminded me a bit of Edward Eager's Half Magic and Seven-Day Magic. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 28, 2016 |
This was an excellent modern fantasy. The story began with the Fred's birthday party. Fred and his friends opened up a mysterious present from Fred's magician of an uncle. The present transported them into the medieval times. Fred and his gang of friends become accosted by a terrible knight. Fred and his friends defeat the knight. The knights of the round table exalt the trio and bring them to King Arthur. The author brings in Smaug from the Lord of the Rings and a giant to threaten the kingdom. Fred uses his wit to trick the giant to attack Smaug. I would use this book right after lunch for approximately three days to introduce my students to learning about the medieval times in the British Isles. ( )
  magen.rauscher | Apr 3, 2015 |
I love this kind of stuff - at all levels, Reminds me of James Patterson's Treasure Hunters and that fun film about Mr. Peabody and Sherman's time machine.
  hbcoates | Dec 6, 2014 |
This book was about three friends, Joe, Fred, and Sam. On Joe's birthday, his uncle, a magician, gives him a book. When they open it, one of the boys wonders what it would be like to see real Knights. All of a sudden, all the boys are pulled into a different time period of knights and castles. As soon as the boys realize where they are, a knight tries to attack them. They convince the king they are wizards so they do not get killed. They finally get back when a real wizard finds a book with a picture of them sitting in Joe's house on his birthday.
This book was okay, it was a little slow in some parts, but it was very short so it wasn't too bad. There were some funny parts so I think that kids 7-11 will enjoy the book. There were pictures on every few pages. I think it was helpful in some parts. When Joe first recieved the book, he described it. Then, when I turned the page, it was a picture of it, so I liked that. The pictures were pretty detailed and related a lot to the important things readers wanted to know. I would recommend this to, mostly boys, who enjoy fantasy and want to start reading chapter books. This chapter book that was also a fantasy fiction would be best for 4th graders. ( )
  nhassa3 | Sep 30, 2014 |
Roger Sutton (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, July/August 1991 (Vol. 44, No. 11))
The "Time Warp Trio" consists of three friends, one of whom has received a wish-granting magic book as a birthday present from an uncle. The book sends them back in time to Camelot (Knights) and a desert island (Roger). The device is tired, the puns are weak, and the tone is too knowing. The jokes are dumb, mostly based upon the boys' anachronistic attitudes and slang: "Your mother was a sardine can," says Fred to the armored Black Knight. There are lots of sound effects, lots of explosions, and lots of disgusting emissions ("Ten brave knights fell like bowling pins, victims of gas warfare"); while it all adds up to standard fourth-grade chucklebait, the three boys are indistinguishable and the plots predictable. Smith's pen sketches have more personality than the text, but their new-wave weirdness only underlines the staleness of the stories. Scieszka's picture-book texts have proven him capable of tight, funny prose (see The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, reviewed in the 9/89 issue); books for newly independent readers deserve no less. Review Code: M -- Marginal book that is so slight in content or has so many weaknesses in style or format that it should be given careful consideration before purchase. Curricular Use: Reading, reluctant. (The Time Warp Trio) (c) Copyright 1991, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1991, Viking, 55p, $10.95. Grades 3-5.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Roger Sutton

Sylvia S. Marantz (The Five Owls, September/October 1991 (Vol. 6, No. 1))
The comedy team of Scieszka and Smith, fresh from their triumphant spoof of The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf (Viking, 1989) have done it again. This time, they have moved from picture book format to chapter books, but they have kept the books thin enough to be non-intimidating. They've also brought both their wonderful sense of fun and their understanding of what kids like to read to this new series called the Time Warp Trio. Just two adventures of Joe, Fred, and Sam, the intrepid trio, are available so far, but it's a good bet that there will be more, by popular demand. Scieszka writes simply and clearly, in accessible vernacular, with short chapters to encourage hesitant readers. Don't expect depth of character or development. Don't search for hidden meanings. These adventures are just for fun. Smith's art for the covers sets the tone with dark, spooky background, hand-calligraphed titles on the picture of the all important Book in the book, and exaggerated faces caricatured for laughs. His other illustrations inside are limited to black and white every few pages, but he manages to add to the story with them nonetheless. They are done in a very intense black, with the modelling that Smith always uses to give his figures three dimensions. They fit into the pages but are bursting with action, using cartoon-like conventions, but full of ther own grotesque humor and comic horror. Knights of the Kitchen Table begins right in the middle of an adventure, sucking the reader in. A huge knight in black armor confronts the three buddies in a clearing. Later, we find out how they got there. Joe's birthday present of a mysterious book from Uncle Joe the Magician turns out, when opened, to start the magic. The Black Knight is vanquished, in a scene worthy of Tom and Jerry, and the trio is off to Camelot with Lancelot to meet the rest of the Round Table. Here the boys manage to deal with Bleob the Giant, who is so disgusting only kids could enjoy him, and Smaug, a truly terrible dragon. But they seem stuck in the Middle Ages until Merlin bails them out. Of course Mark Twain did a much more complex version of this in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and more recently Gery Greer and Bob Rudick made a hit with a similar funny but more intricately plotted Max and Me and the Time Machine (Harcourt, Brace, 1983), but Scieszka's brief romp is successful just for what it is. I hope it is not sexist to say that boys generally read less than girls, partly because they seem to find fewer books available that grab their interest. We welcome Scieszka's tales of adventure and humor, with their strong appeal to boys. Incidentally, I think girls will enjoy them as well. 1991, Viking, $10.95. Ages 7 to 11.

added by kthomp25 | editThe Five Owls, Sylvia S. Marantz

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCauley, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Casey
"Halt, vile knaves."
We were about to be killed more than a thousand years before we were even born.

The Black Knight thundered toward us, his lance pointed directly at us. "Wait, I've got it," said Fred. And he grabbed our arms and pulled us together. "You guys stay close. On the count of three, Joe, you and Sam jump to the left. I'll jump to the right. One..." The Black Knight was so close I could see the straps on his armor. "Two..." I could see the buckles on the straps. "Three!" We jumped. The Black Knight clanked by like a runaway train. "Strike one," said Sam.

Everyone’s favorite time-travelers are changing their styles!  The Time Warp Trio series now features a brand-new, eye-catching design, sure to appeal to longtime fans, and those new to Jon Scieszka’s wacky brand of humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

When Joe, Fred, and Sam are sent back in time by a magic book, they find themselves face-to-face with giants, dragons, wizards, and the Knights of the Round Table.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,855,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible