Spinsters in Jeopardy by Ngaio Marsh

Spinsters in Jeopardy (1954)

by Ngaio Marsh

Series: Roderick Alleyn (17)

High in the mountains stands the Saracen fortress, home of Mr Oberon, leader of a coven of witches. It is not the castle, however, that intrigues Roderick Alleyn but the suspicion that a huge drugs ring operates from within its ancient portals.

English (13)  Danish (1)  All languages (14)
When I start reading any of Marsh's Roderick Alleyn books, I start with the expectation that it would be a cozy mystery. Spinsters in Jeopardy, with gangs and cults and daring dos, is entertaining, but is not exactly cozy. It dampened my excitement a bit, but is overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  Porua | Nov 30, 2019 |
This entry in the series has a lot of Troy (and little Ricky) which I liked but was less of a mystery than a suspense/thriller. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 8, 2019 |
Roderick Alleyn has some business to attend to in the south of France, and his wife, Agatha Troy, and their son, Ricky, are coming along as cover. They'd also like to visit a distant cousin of Troy's with whom she has been corresponding. However, the three of them all become embroiled in the goings-on at the mysterious Château de la Chèvre d'Argent.

This was a totally bananas book. Any mystery that involves a bizarre cult is bound to be. I had to keep reading just to see how the bananas-ness would resolve itself. I also really enjoyed how Marsh rendered Alleyn and the French police speaking in French, making use of actual French and writing the English sentences in such a way that they sounded French. Ricky was a little charmer, too, and Troy is always a welcome addition to the Alleyn stories. I probably wouldn't reread this, but it's worth reading once. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 22, 2017 |
A very disappointing book--not up to the usual Marsh standards. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
Despite how kooky and pointless the plot of this Alleyn mystery was, I actually really enjoyed it. It was entertaining and silly. The cult and drug stuff is hilarious (if very dated) and I liked Alleyn's interactions with some of the subsidiary characters. I guess it was sort of a guilty pleasure, despite the ridiculous plot. In the past, I haven't enjoyed the books that involved Ricky, but something about how cute and precocious he was in this book was incredibly charming. Troy is always great, too. Different than her regular fare, but I really liked this one by Marsh. ( )
  sansmerci | Aug 7, 2015 |

Ngaio Marshprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCaddon, WandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anita and Val Muling with my thanks
Without moving his head, Ricky slewed his eyes round until he was able to look slantways at the back of his mother's easel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,572,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible