Strawberry Shortcake Murder (2001)

by Joanne Fluke

Series: Hannah Swensen (2)

Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

From the New York Times-bestselling author of Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, "another delicious adventure...a superior cozy sure to leave readers satisfied."Publishers Weekly
When the president of Hartland Flour chooses cozy Lake Eden, Minnesota, as the spot for their first annual Dessert Bake-Off, bakery owner Hannah Swensen is thrilled to serve as the head judge. But when a fellow judge, Coach Boyd Watson, is found stone-cold dead, facedown in Hannah's celebrated strawberry shortcake, Lake Eden's sweet ride to fame turns very sour indeed.
While perfecting her Cheddar Cheese Apple Pie and Chocolate Crunchies, Hannah's also snooping into the coach's private life, which yields plenty of suspects. Or could Watson's harsh criticism during the judging have lethally ticked off one of the contestants? The stakes are rising faster than dough, because somebody's cooking up a recipe for murderwith Hannah landing on the "necessary ingredients" list.
Includes seven delicious recipes!

"The crime novelist Joanne Fluke has come up with a winning formula...think of a luscious dessert, then add death."The New York Times

.… (more)

Beyond good! love this series. looking forward for the next one! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
Beyond good! love this series. looking forward for the next one! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke is a 2021 Kensington publication.

This second installment in this long-running series has Hannah determined to involve herself in a murder investigation when her friend Danielle becomes the prime suspect in her abusive husband’s murder.

The mystery, as with the first installment, is quite good. It was a fun guessing game, and I was engaged in the story from beginning to end.

There were a few small quibbles- Hannah is a character I’m still adjusting to. I did like her initially- but not without a few have a few reservations, in this follow-up novel, those conerns only deepened, as her lack of a filter isn’t really an endearing quirk- though I’m sure it’s meant to be. The recipes, which appear at the beginning of the chapters were a small distraction. I think I like it better when the recipes are grouped together at the end of the book- and are easier to refer to that way, as well.

Other than that, the story is well written, evenly paced, and well-plotted- but beware if you have a sweet tooth! Unfortunately, cookies are one of my weaknesses! 🍪🍪🍓🍓 ( )
  gpangel | Oct 10, 2023 |
Strawberry Shortcake Murder
Hannah Swensen, Book 2

I Picked Up This Book Because: Continue the series.

Media Type: Audiobook
Source: BC Public Library
Dates Read: 8/26/23 - 8/29/23
Stars: 4 Stars
Narrator(s): Suzanne Toren

The Characters:

Hannah Swensen:
Andrea Todd: Hannah’s sister and sidekick
Lisa (Hannah’s business partner), Mike (Cop and love interest), Norman (love interest number 2), Lucy (Town reporter), Boyd (High school basketball coach), Moishe, Other town residents

The Story:

This small town is getting really interesting really quick. Not one but two murders this time. What did Hannah do before she had all these crimes to investigate? I like that Hannah and her sister are repairing their relationship and working together to solve these crimes however Hannah does come off as condescending sometimes.

The Random Thoughts:

This book was published in 2001 so there are some problematic words/phrases used but they were acceptable at the time so I would not judge the author on this at this time they are just a little rough on my 2023 ears. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Aug 30, 2023 |
I really love this series. Hannah Swensen is sarcastic, relatable, funny, and extremely smart. She owns a cafe called The Cookie Jar in a small town in Minnesota. She is great at baking and solving murders. There is also a bit of a love triangle in this series but it isn't the main focus. These stories definitely center on the mysteries and add touches of Hannah's relationships with men as well as her mom and sister. I love both romantic interests for different reasons and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

This second installment in the series focuses on the murder of Coach Boyd (a man who batters his wife and has a lot of enemies). When his wife Danielle is suspected of killing him in self-defense, Hannah steps in to find who really did it.

I figured out who the killer was about 10 pages before Hannah which isn't terrible at all. I still really enjoyed this book. One of my favorite parts of the series is learning about everyone in this small town. They have such fun histories and drama. ( )
  CaitlinDaugherty | Aug 28, 2023 |

Joanne Flukeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my kids. You asked for your favorite recipes. Here they are in novel form.
The sound of a crash startled Hannah Swensen awake.
ebook ISBNs: 9780758247261 (0758247265) & 9780758247285

Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Includes seven delicious recipes!

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,717,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible