The One-Eyed Giant by Mary Pope Osborne

The One-Eyed Giant

by Mary Pope Osborne

Fantastic introduction for kids to Homer's Odyssey - my son loved these books. ( )
1 vote gbill | Sep 20, 2016 |
I do so recommend this to students who are at the Magic Treehouse reading level but want a little more action. I have students who are in middle school reading Magic Treehouse, and I highly recommend this to them as the content is a little more interesting.

My son was tired of Magic Treehouse books being so tame, and this one described the cyclops tearing limbs off of his friends and eating them whole, once vomiting, drunk, chunks of human flesh, blood, and brains. My son was officially hooked on this series after that, and Magic Treehouse is behind him forever; he couldn't believe he kept reading these books about pirates and ninjas with absolutely no battles!

The Greeks in these stories of course are completely flawed characters, giving my son fuel for reaction, which is another feature that the Treehouse books don't have; Treehouse characters are the flattest you'll find. He's both disgusted by Odysseus's greed and bad manners as well as impressed by his cunning. I think this 9-year-old boy will be devouring this series. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this novel, I thought the other did a great job of turning the original story of the Odyssey into a book that children can read and understand. The story still contained the context of the original story with some different parts as well. I enjoyed the sense of adventure to get back home. I also thought the author wrote the story very well, they did a great job of transitioning through the events of the story, which was impressive seeing how many transitions there were throughout the novel. Overall this was a easy, pleasurable read. ( )
  kcrous3 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Odysseus faces the challenging task of returning home as the Trojan War comes to an end. Aspects of ancient Greece are worked into Odysseus’s quest to survive. Mary Pope Osborne’s Tales from the Odyssey reveals the gruesome details and anger of the gods in an age appropriate manner; eliminating sexual contact and overly violent details. Gore is still apparent, however just enough to convey the true experiences of Odysseus. This is a great choice in text for intermediate and/or struggling early elementary students. The text is simple, noncomplex, and forward. ( )
  nfigue1 | Oct 13, 2014 |
This story is from a series of chapter books that Mary Pope Osborne based off of the epic tales of Odysseus, and retold for younger children. I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is the way that the author recreated the traditional mythological story for grades four through six. She uses language that is appropriate and exciting, even though the real story of The Odyssey could be overwhelming for some children. She includes every event and character such as, The Trojan War, saving Helen, and the one eyed giant, but simplifies it to keep the reader's attention and desire to read more. The second reason I liked the book was its educational aspect. After reading the story, I went online to see what parents had to say and they each said that it helped their children enjoy Greek mythology and complete their history lessons. I would definitely recommend this book to history teachers if their students are struggling with retaining Homer's addition of the Odyssey. Overall, the big idea of this book is to retell Homer's stories of the Odyssey in a kid friendly way. ( )
  ckelly16 | Apr 24, 2014 |

When Odysseus must leave his home to fight the Trojan War, he never imagines that he’ll be away from his family for so many years. Now, at long last, he is leading his men home across the seas. But many dangers await them – and none is more terrifying than Polyphemus, the one-eyed giant.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

Odysseus is far from home, tossed by stormy seas and cursed by an angry one-eyed giant. After twenty years of fighting monsters, angering gods and goddesses, and surviving against the odds, Odysseus returns home and faces more dangerous enemies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,086,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible