dismiss

Big Red Lollipop

by Rukhsana Khan

Other authors: Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Having to take her younger sister along the first time she is invited to a birthday party spoils Rubina's fun, and later when that sister is asked to a party and baby sister wants to come, Rubina must decide whether to help.

In this short picture book, it is jam packed with cultural lessons as well as lessons about friendship. The main character in this book, Rubina, and her family are Arab American. Rubina gets invited to a birthday party, and birthdays are not something that Arab Americans celebrate. Rubina goes anyway, but she is forced to bring her little sister, Sana. Sana causes a scene at the party, and embarrasses Rubina. Later on, Sana is invited to a birthday party by one of her friends, and the youngest sister wants to go. Although Rubina could have been happy that Sana would have to take their sister so she would get a taste of her own medicine, she tells her mother to let Sana go to the birthday party on her own. This act of kindness reveals to children that you should treat others as you want to be treated. This leads to the sisters making up, and being the best of friends. This again shows children that even if someone does something to make them upset, they do not need to try to do the same to the other person. Forgiveness is important, and can lead to an amazing friendship. ( )
  mwerde2 | Mar 24, 2020 |
This book is about a little girl name Rubi getting invited to a birthday party and having to take her little sister, Sana, along with her. Rubi is angry and frustrated. One day Sana gets invited to a birthday party and she has to take her younger sister to the birthday party. Rubi watches and she knows the feeling. Instead of watching her suffer and having to take the younger sister, Rubi tells her Ami she doesn't have to take her. I was surprised that Rubi made this decision. I know the feeling of having younger siblings and having to take them everywhere I go. This story can teach young children how to be the bigger person and feel sympathy for one another. ( )
  cynthiahurtado | Apr 30, 2019 |
summary: Rubina is invited to her first birthday party and is forced to take her little sister. Sana then gets invited to a birthday party and has to take the youngest sister and she doesn't want to at all.
reflection: Boy do I know what it's like to have a sister and have to take her places like Rubina did. My sister didn't always want to do exactly what I did though, she and I have very different personalities! This was a sweet book with a great message about how to always include everyone. I also like how her sister ate her lollipop but in the end was placed in her sister's shoes so she gave her another one in return.
  dempseydee | Oct 4, 2018 |
I liked this book because of the following reasons. The first is that it revolved around the relationship of the family siblings and the idea of sharing. This is a complex issue that the author successfully displayed. When Sana ate Rubina’s lollipop from her goody bag, Rubina was upset. However, her mom insisted that she should share her goodie bag with her sister because they were family.
Another reason I enjoyed this story was that the visuals were not only colorful but also paired very well with the text. The illustrations included vibrant colors and clear body/facial expressions. Through the way the characters were dressed, the audience could get a gist of what the culture was like. In addition, when Rubina was chasing Sana, you could see her frenzy by the way the picture tracked their chase across the house.
Third, Iiked how the author used italics and repetition. When Rubina realizes Sana ate her lollipop, the author shows how angry she is by saying, “I’m going to get you.” There is also a part of the story, where it is Sana’s turn to go to a party and in fairness, she has to take her sister to the party too. Rubina struggles internally with helping her sister. The author depicts this by repeating “I could”: “I could just watch her have to...I could just let her make a fool of herself......I could just let her not be invited …”
This leads to the big idea of maturity and forgiveness. Even though Rubina was no longer invited to further birthday parties because she would have to bring her little sister along and that was unpopular, she convinced her mom to spare Sana from this. In addition, another example of the author showing maturity is that the story is cyclical. At the party, the sisters receive goodie bags and Rubina saves her lollipop, whereas her younger sister immediately devours hers. Her sister even eats her lollipop too. Later on, Sana is older and gets invited to a party. Her mother tells her that because Rubina had to take her, Sana needs to take her younger sister too. However, Rubina wants to save her sister’s social life so she steps in. In the end, Sana gives Rubina a lollipop from her goodie bag as thanks. This shows how the siblings’ relationship has matured.
This book is a contemporary realistic fiction book because it is an imaginary story, but the plot could happen in current times. ( )
  mandyhuang | Sep 16, 2018 |
No one wants their siblings following them around. Rubina feels this way when she was invited to a party and forced to take her little sister with her. It was a horribly embarrassing experience for her. Once her sister got an invitation of her own she was going to be forced to take their younger sister with her but Rubina jumped in a told Ami to let her go by herself. This really shows an act of kindness. This goes along with the theme an act of kindness can go along way as you see her sister brought a lollipop home from Rubina for saving her from having to take her little sister. ( )
  mgcampb1 | Sep 13, 2018 |

Rukhsana Khanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Having a tag along younger sister isn't Rubina's ideal situation for her birthday party.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,675,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible