The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny

The Guns of Avalon (1972)

by Roger Zelazny

English (29)  French (2)  All languages (31)
I'm rereading these for the first time in thirty years out of respect for Roger Zelazny, who wrote back to me when I was 14 and asked him a bunch of questions about the Amber books. This one is like the first, so if you liked Nine Princes in Amber, this will keep you interested. Now I find that Zelazny sometimes loads on the data too heavily: characters sometimes speak in what sound like geometry proofs ("I told Dara that Brand would not support Caine unless Benedict was allied with Flora, unless Flora and Eric were somehow aligned and waiting for Julian to make his play," etc.). But it moves quickly and I'll pick up number three soon. Like all the Amber books, this ends with a cliffhanger. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
later ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
the Second in the Amber series. It is an unengaging book, the plot being involved with the sibling rivalries of the Amberites, and altogether, the first disappointing book I'd read from this author. He began for me at a very high level with "Lord of Light". Perhaps there is no real way to equal that achievement with this writer. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 28, 2017 |
The first five books in the Chronicles still number among my favorites. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Corwin allies with another brother against Eric and gets a gunpowder that works in Amber. Takes over just as Eric dies from repelling forces from Chaos ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bob and Phyllis Rozman
I stood there on the beach and said, "Good-by Butterfly," and the ship slowly turned, then headed out toward deep water.

One of the most revered names in science fiction and fantasy, the incomparable Roger Zelazny was honored with numerous prizes-including six Hugo and three Nebula Awards-over the course of his legendary career. Among his more than fifty books, arguably Zelazny's most popular literary creations were his extraordinary Amber novels. 'The Guns of Avalon' is the second book of The Chronicles of Amber. Across the worlds of Shadow, Corwin, Prince of blood royal, heir to the throne of Amber, gathers his forces for an assault that will yield up to him the crown that is rightfully his. But, a growing darkness of his own doing threatens his plans, an evil that stretches to the heart of the perfect kingdom itself where the demonic forces of Chaos mass to annihilate Amber and all who would rule there.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,602,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible