The Magic School Bus: Lost in the Solar System (1990)

by Joanna Cole

Other authors: Bruce Degen (Illustrator)

Series: The Magic School Bus (Classics 4)

On a special field trip in the magic school bus, Ms. Frizzle's class goes into outer space and visits each planet in the solar system.

Independent reading level: 3rd grade

Awards: none ( )
  Starlight_Lattee | Dec 7, 2022 |
Independent reading level (2-6)
  Gloria2019 | Dec 6, 2022 |
Grades: 3
Lexile® Measure: 570L
Guided Reading Level: GR Level P
DRA Level: 34 - 38
ACR Level: 3.7
  BLESD | May 2, 2022 |
This is my first encounter with the series either in print or on screen.

A delightful book for young children or anyone learning English for the first time, it captivates and educates at the same time. When the planetarium that the class is supposed to visit turns out to be closed, the bus transforms into a spaceship to take them through the solar system.

The format consists of three elements that work well together. First, there is the main story filled with facts about the solar system. Second, a comic book style of commentary by the class and teacher. Third, mini essays written by the students providing additional facts about the solar system.

I would recommend not just this book, but the entire series. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Nov 12, 2021 |
I have strong memories of reading this under my Ninja Turtles comforter on my bottom bunk with a reading light. It was one of the first times I had ever used a reading light, and the entire thing felt so adventurous and romantic to younger me. It's one of my fondest reading memories.

My partner read this to me to help me fall asleep because I'm sick. I felt very safe and comforted and taken care of. This is now one of my fondest reading memories, too. ( )
  MoonLibrary | Oct 20, 2021 |

Cole, Joannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Virginia and Bob McBride-J.C.
For Chris, queen of the Biscadorian Mother ship -B.D.
It was trip day again in Ms. Frizzle's class.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,457,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible