The Gray House by Mariám Petrosyán

The Gray House

by Mariám Petrosyán

208383,290 (3.57)19

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
Not sure about this one...
"Bound to wheelchairs and dependent on prosthetic limbs, the physically disabled students living in the House are overlooked by the Outsides. Not that it matters to anyone living in the House, a hulking old structure that its residents know is alive. From the corridors and crawl spaces to the classrooms and dorms, the House is full of tribes, tinctures, scared teachers, and laws—all seen and understood through a prismatic array of teenagers’ eyes.
But student deaths and mounting pressure from the Outsides put the time-defying order of the House in danger. As the tribe leaders struggle to maintain power, they defer to the awesome power of the House, attempting to make it through days and nights that pass in ways that clocks and watches cannot record."
Okay by chapter 3 I was so utterly confused I had no idea what the heck was going on in this book. This book is supposed to be about the dynamics of children in an orphanage home (The Gray House) but also has supernatural aspects to it.
I understand that this book was originally written in Russian but the language that the author has used is so blocky (not choppy) and it comes off as extremely daunting to read. It's almost like somebody giving a very very stern speech.
There's no real plot to the book. At least I did not read a discernible plot. More or less you're just following the characters willy-nilly style.
I also think that a lot of this book could have been cut out and it would have made for a little bit better of reading experience for the reader. In this 700+ page chunkster it just becomes so boring to read all this nonsequential nonsense.
I really don't know if I can recommend this one for all the reasons stated above. It was not a very enjoyable read for me. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Jan 19, 2019 |
I was not able to finish this audiobook so I did not rate it. I made it to Chapter 26 of 61 and gave up. I think one of the main reasons was the narrator who articulated. Every. Single. Consonant. So if there were words like "not too," each "t" was heard. I found it jarring and unmusical to listen to.

The story was a "Lord of the Flies" type theme which took place in a school/home for disabled youth. Grownups were rarely seen and the girl side of the school mainly ignored. The boys made their own groups which all had different personalities and the boys were given nicknames, "nics", which were generally based on their disability or habit.

I couldn't discern a plot developing and I found the setting rather dismal.
  mamzel | May 30, 2018 |

Mariám Petrosyánprimary authorall editionscalculated
Machkasov, YuriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Gray House is an astounding tale of how what others understand as liabilities can be leveraged into strengths. Bound to wheelchairs and dependent on prosthetic limbs, the physically disabled students living in the House are overlooked by the Outsides. Not that it matters to anyone living in the House, a hulking old structure that its residents know is alive. From the corridors and crawl spaces to the classrooms and dorms, the House is full of tribes, tinctures, scared teachers, and laws-all seen and understood through a prismatic array of teenagers' eyes. But student deaths and mounting pressure from the Outsides put the time-defying order of the House in danger. As the tribe leaders struggle to maintain power, they defer to the awesome power of the House, attempting to make it through days and nights that pass in ways that clocks and watches cannot record.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,528,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible