A Fairly Honourable Defeat by Iris Murdoch

A Fairly Honourable Defeat (1970)

by Iris Murdoch

Like so many of Iris Murdoch's novels, this is well written, entertaining and full of ideas. Probably not quite her best but still worth reading. ( )
  bodachliath | Sep 25, 2015 |
I think this is one of my favourite Murdoch novels. Julius is one of her scheming, manipulative bastards that she describes so well. Some very comic moments but it gets darker towards the end. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Aug 9, 2014 |
awesome ( )
  Kirmuriel | Sep 19, 2013 |
I have picked up and put down so many Iris Murdoch novels that it is a wonder that I actually got through this one. So many of my friends and other respected readers love Murdoch, and I do see why they do. Her novels are novels of ideas and she allows herself room to explore the big questions. But, I just cannot get past the wooden quality of her characters and her clunky, clunkity plots. Or her women, who seem to be either hysterical or earth mamas. Or her ideas of masculinity which point towards the mythic and drive me mad. All of that said, this book had some lovely moments. ( )
1 vote tippycanoegal | Apr 1, 2013 |
(one of 24 books found today at 2nd hand shop...24 for $10!)
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
To Janet and Reynolds Stone
'Julius King.' 'You speak his name as if you were meditating upon it.'

In a dark comedy of errors, Iris Murdoch portrays the mischief wrought by Julius, a cynical intellectual who decides to demonstrate through a Machiavellian experiment how easily loving couples, caring friends, and devoted siblings can betray their loyalties. As puppet master, Julius artfully plays on the human tendency to embrace drama and intrigue and to prefer the distraction of confrontations to the difficult effort of communicating openly and honestly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:17 -0400)

Legacy Library: Iris Murdoch

Iris Murdoch has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Iris Murdoch's legacy profile.

See Iris Murdoch's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,761,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible