Museum of Thieves (The Keepers) by Lian…

Museum of Thieves (The Keepers)

by Lian Tanner

English (32)  German (1)  All languages (33)
I can't tell you how many times I've ordered this book from the library and then ended up returning it without reading a single page. My mom took advantage of how long I've had the Museum of Thieves by reading not only this book but the rest of the trilogy while I hadn't even started the first book. I finally gave this book a chance and it proved to be as amazing as a dystopian could be. The time flew as I became entranced by the museum and its characters. The world in which Goldie lived in was filled with injustice. Children are forced to be chained to their parents or a Blessed Guardian at all times. All Goldie wants is her freedom yet when she takes the chance she places her family in danger. As a fugitive she crosses paths with Sinew, a master of concealment, who brings her to the Museum of Dunt where she will learn the secrets of being a thief and what perils the city of Jewel is about to face.

The Museum of Thieves was way better than I expected. It's chalk full of originality. I was irritated whenever the Blessed Guardians appeared - they had chapters dedicated to their POV. I could just hear their smug voices resonating through my head. The whole concept of children being chained up to them for their "protection" was both brilliant and aggravating only because the characters in Goldie's world were ignorant to how wrong they were treating their children. The Museum of Dunt is actually this labyrinth that keeps evil at bay. It's this alive structure that is starting to become infuriated by events unfolding in the city of Jewel. When the Blessed Guardians and the Fugleman start plotting something big it's up to the thieves of the museum to stop him at all costs before they unleash terror to the city streets of Jewel.

Goldie learns everything about how to be a thief from the caretakers of the museum including Toadspit, another runaway who doesn't take too kindly to her presence. She also meets the last brizzlehound a creature that can be a small dog one moment and a huge ferocious animal the next. All the characters have a very distinct personality and most of them being thieves makes them even more interesting. I don't have anything bad to say about any of them or this book. It had a great setting, cast of characters, and I was thoroughly entertained. I'm eager to read the rest of the series. Considering the ending of this story the next book is going to awesome. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
A simple story not so simply told. It was delightful. ( )
  e2d2 | Jun 2, 2017 |
Do not like this book. Not a good way to start out 2014..... ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I really liked this, and am eager to read the next two!

There's a city where they've gone to extensive lengths to protect the children--no animals in the city, the kids have to wear a chain/rope *all the time* in case of kid snatchers, and one girl cut herself at age 6 by accident, and she had a month of bedrest.

There's a corrupt group of kidprotectors, of course.

Man, teaching kids that adults will use "but what about the children!?!?" to justify corruption--this is good stuff. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
Unexpectedly fun, yet solid fantastical adventure. It's creepy, and the fantastic elements are a mixture of a twisted social setting, plus some wondrous magic - none of the standard fantasy elements here. I liked the imaginativeness of what's going on, and the weird Museum is definitely something I feel the urge to explore more. I also enjoyed the characters and their arcs (a bit simplistic, but it IS a children's book!) and found the writing skipped along smoothly and plump with character. ( )
  Shimmin | Feb 23, 2016 |
In those days, the museum had four keepers:- Herro Dan, Olga Ciabolga, Sinew and the boy Toadspit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385739052, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: In the city of Jewel, safety and temperance are prized above all other virtues. Goldie, an impetuous girl with a talent for petty thievery, is eagerly awaiting her Separation, in which her silver guardchain connecting her to her parents for safety is finally cut. When tragedy strikes and the city’s sly and deceptive ruler, the Fugleman, cancels all Separations indefinitely, Goldie decides she’s had enough of safety and runs away to the fascinating, mysterious Museum of Dunt. Yet this museum is no dusty educational edifice, as Goldie soon learns: it has moods and feelings like a living being. Its shape-shifting rooms house not historical artifacts, but great and terrible powers that, if unleashed, could destroy the city. In the museum, Goldie meets a quirky cast of misfits, including Toadspit, an Oliver-Twist-like ragamuffin living in the museum; Sinew, a harp-toting spy; and Broo, a talking dog with secret powers of his own. Before long, however, the Fugleman discovers the secret of the museum and tries to use its powers to tighten his control of the city, and it’s up to Goldie, Toadspit, and Broo to stop him. Lian Tanner’s Museum of Thieves is filled with characters who are oddball but meaningful, a dystopia-for-beginners plot that is at once serious and silly, and a pace fast enough to draw in even reluctant readers. The thrilling conclusion teaches that courage and freedom are virtues, too, even if they mean a few scrapes along the way. --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:50 -0400)

Goldie, an impulsive and bold twelve-year-old, escapes the oppressive city of Jewel, where children are required to wear guardchains for their protection, and finds refuge in the extraordinary Museum of Dunt, an ever-shifting world where she discovers a useful talent for thievery and mysterious secrets that threaten her city and everyone she loves.… (more)

Lian Tanner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible