Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Virals by Kathy Reichs

Virals (2010)

by Kathy Reichs, Brendan Reichs

Series: Virals (1)

1,501927,552 (3.67)42

English (90)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (92)
This book was ok. I would give it a 3.5, I found it hard to read in the beginning and once I got a fourth a way through I ended up liking it. The mystery and adventure reminded me of the TV series BONES. It had plenty of twists and turns that somehow ended up forming connections in the end. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
Cavalcade of Authors 2019 author - Tory Brennan, our protagonist has recently re-located to live with a dad she didn't know she had with the death of her mom. Smart, but isolated by her dad's remote island home, she becomes friends with three science-geek friends who also are out of step at their ultra-prep private high school. Fast-paced, suspenseful & although a bit unrealistic (breaking into dad's research facility & discovering an ultra-secret lab, finding the burial site of murder victim, getting shot at, suspecting that she & friends are infected with a potentially deadly virus, dad's co-worker shot & killed - but no adult is told?? ) still a fun read, interspersed with Charleston, SC coastline history, geography and ecology. Of course, the hybrid canine parvovirus infects Tory & her friends who take on some qualities of wolves (gold eyes, hyper-senses) when their stress level/anger level rises.. and they have to discover who is trying to kill them as they solve the long ago murder, & why they also killed Dr. Karsten, who operated the lab, creating the secret parvovirus. ( )
  BDartnall | Feb 18, 2019 |
This book was really good!
I enjoyed the strong female lead and the off shoot of the Temperance Brennan books. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Let me first say that I've yet to watch an episode of Bones, and haven't yet had the opportunity to read the Temperance Brennan series either! So when I found out that this book was based on that series I was a little worried. Would I be lost? Would there be allusions to things that I wouldn't understand? From the moment I opened the book these thoughts plagued me. I'm happy to announce that I shouldn't have worried one bit. Virals only pulls in a very small reference to Kathy Reich's other work, and is its own amazing story. It has an edgy science fiction feel to it, and I'll be honest when I say that it drew me in right away.

We meet Tory Brennan, Temperance's niece. Right away I fell in love with her personality. She's one of the boys! Not that living on an island gives her much of a choice, but Tory doesn't seem to mind one bit. It was refreshing to see a girl who could hold her own in a group of guys. The wit and sarcasm that effortlessly flew out of her mouth had me giggling, and I was intrigued by her love of science. Truthfully, I see a lot to love in Tory and I'm sure other readers will as well.

What I loved most about this story was the focus on the science fiction aspect versus the paranormal aspect. The story revolves around what the kids feel as they gain their abilities and how they learn to use them. At no point is there a reference to what they've become, in terms of supernatural beings. Again, I use the word refreshing. It was nice to read a book that references what the kids could actually do rather than heavily focusing on what they had become.

The mystery deepens as the story progresses, and I was impressed with the layers of intrigue that this book puts forward. It might seem odd to say so, but to me this is what I like to call a "smart" book. It's a story that doesn't assume that young people don't have prior knowledge. This is a book for all those nerdy girls/women out there (like me) who love to feel like a book is challenging us instead of talking down to us.

Virals is definitely the start of something great! I cannot wait to see what happens next, and this book has prompted me to find more of Kathy Reich's work to read. Amazing. Plain and simple. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
4.5 stars.

Okay, so I love Bones the TV show, and then I saw this book and it was a YA book by the same author. It was awesome. I gave it 4.5 stars because it had a slow beginning and I was considering 3 stars. But then it was all, twist! And another twist! Lots of exciting-ness! I'll read the rest of the series when it comes out. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reichs, Brendanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the good people and dogs of Charleston. Thanks for welcoming me to the neighborhood!
A gunshot is the loudest sound in the universe.

Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage “sci-philes” who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot-if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer’s scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends- they’re a pack. They are Virals.

Tory Brennan is the leader of a band of teenage 'sci-philes' who live on an island off the coast of South Carolina and when the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible