Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Things a Brother Knows by Dana Reinhardt

The Things a Brother Knows

by Dana Reinhardt

Finally, Levi Katznelson’s older brother, Boaz, has returned. Boaz was a high school star who had it all and gave it up to serve in a war Levi can’t understand. Things have been on hold since Boaz left. With the help of his two best friends Levi has fumbled his way through high school, weary of his role as little brother to the hero.

The above is the summary provided by Goodreads.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
A good book illustrating the point that it's important to offer those you love the healing they need rather than the healing you want them to have. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I think it was meant to be that I read this book on a Veteran's Day Weekend. I was in tears half of the time, and this book made me think about the people who I know personally who make this sacrifice because that is just who they are. It makes me wonder what they hide from us and how we could help them more. I really enjoyed this book overall and will probably read it again on another Veteran's Day Weekend to remind me of the things our soldiers do for us without hesitating.
  KamenRiderLuna | Aug 18, 2013 |
Realistic, emotionally honest, and timely story. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Three years ago, Levi's brother shocked everyone by enlisting in the Marines. Now Bo's back, but he's not the Boaz who left. This one is withdrawn, never coming out of his room, barely speaking to anyone. He hasn't been back long when he takes off again, to hike the Appalachian Trail, but Levi knows that's not true. Just finding him is hard enough. Unraveling who Boaz has become is even harder.

Aftermath of war, sibling relationships, the effects on those left behind. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
In a Boston suburb, Levi's older brother, Boaz, has just returned from fighting in some desert country half a world away. The U.S. Marines say Boaz is healthy, but Levi thinks otherwise. Levi misses Boaz as he remembers him, before he left two years earlier: a high-school hero. Reinhardt's poignant story of a soldier coping with survivor's guilt and trauma, and his Israeli American family's struggle to understand and help, is timely and honest. Unlike Walter Dean Myers' Fallen Angels (1998), about Vietnam, or Sunrise over Fallujah (2008), set in Iraq, this novel is not anchored in a specific war, but Reinhardt sensitively explores universal traumas that usurp the lives of many soldiers and their loved ones.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Frances Bradburn (Aug 10, 2013)

Although they have never gotten along well, seventeen-year-old Levi follows his older brother Boaz, an ex-Marine, on a walking trip from Boston to Washington, D.C. in hopes of learning why Boaz is completely withdrawn.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,513,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible