Voices in the Park (1977)

by Anthony Browne

1,31919211,822 (4.34)20
Lives briefly intertwine when two youngsters meet in the park.

The story shows four points of view by following a sequence of events where two different
families with different socioeconomic backgrounds meet at the park. The boy is struggling with a
restricted environment that doesn’t allow him to express himself and feel free. His voice is
being oppressed by the limits of his mother. However the little girl from a lower socio economic class does have more individual freedom including a voice. A good book to teach students that just because someone is socioeconomically advantaged, it doesn't necessary mean that they are not being oppressed, and conversely, being poor doesn't necessarily mean that you do not have freedom. A good book for making students think more critically, and compassionately about societal roles. ( )
  fmatiella1 | Mar 3, 2022 |
The multiple perspective presented within this story show the text-to-text to self connection of how we can not perceive a story in just one way. This book gives students the availability to view each individuals' story on the same event within this book
  DidnaPaz | Feb 26, 2022 |
This simple story explores many key themes such as alienation, friendship, and the bizarre amid the mundane. I would recommend using this book in a classroom or even as a parent has it in your child's library. ( )
  _Mayrita1 | Feb 26, 2022 |
A trip to the park is told from four different points of view, a snooty woman, her son, a working class man, and his daughter. Both sets of parents go to the park with their dogs and their children, but each of them has quite a different experience. The children and the dogs meet and play, but the mother's disdain for her son playing with a lower class child ends the trip prematurely, with the son hoping that he runs into the daughter the next time they are at the park. This book is good for illustrating that even simple activities like a walk in the park can appear wildly different when viewed through someone else's eyes, even if that person is ostensibly closely related to us, like a parent. ( )
  GIJason82 | Feb 23, 2022 |
The Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne, is a heart happy type of book. At first I thought the book was confusing and I did not have a good impression of the first voice so I did not think I was going to like the book. After reading the whole thing and was able to see the other point of views from the characters, I grew to really enjoy this book. It really opened me up to how different point of views can change how a series of events can be perceived. I also really enjoyed the pictures in the book to be able to visualize the characters and get a better understanding of the event. This book opened up my opinion to different family backgrounds and how it effects something as simple as a day in the park. ( )
  cpeter22 | Feb 20, 2020 |
Voices in the Park was originally published as: A walk in the park. London: Hamish Hamilton, 1977.

Lives briefly intertwine when two youngsters meet in the park.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,969,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible