Sold (2006)

by Patricia McCormick

2,5201554,777 (4.13)114
Thirteen-year-old Lakshmi leaves her poor mountain home in Nepal thinking that she is to work in the city as a maid only to find that she has been sold into the sex slave trade in India and that there is no hope of escape.
    Robbed of Humanity: Lives of Guatemalan Street Children by Nancy Leigh Tierney (meggyweg)
    I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (dara85)
    Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton (AspiringAshley)
    AspiringAshley: Both are realistic pieces of fiction that pull you into the world of a young girl and open your eyes to a far different life than you can imagine. You will be grateful for your own life, and motivated to take a stand on the side of justice.
    Trafficked by Kim Purcell (kaledrina)
    A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.
    Karma by Cathy Ostlere (kaledrina)
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Tricks by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)

English (152)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (154)
Well written, but holy cow! depressing. Why is this a hot new teen read, exactly? ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I'm mostly skimming through this book. I'm a little burnt out on reading right now. At least, reading anything of such a serious matter. Frankly, I found the first half of the book a bit boring. The second half is fascinating but so far very grim. ( )
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
I originally read this in 2016. This time I chose to listen to it. It was a short audiobook, but very impactful. This would be an appropriate YA novel (the main character is 13/14 years old). This book is about human trafficking so triggers of that nature are present. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
Wow. It's not a very long story but it gives a punch in the heart. It's pretty powerful.

If only in reality, victims of sex slavery could all be given the same hopeful ending. ( )
  Headinherbooks_27 | May 11, 2021 |
I think what McCormick does with this book is brilliant. In what seems like a simple first-person lyrical style that is probably quite complicated to pull off, she provides a matter-of-fact account of a young girl sold into sex slavery. The evolution from innocent mountain girl to jaded prostitute at age 13 is hard to read and yet the personal spirits of the main character and other girls trying to navigate their situation is not sacrificed. I wouldn't recommend this as a read for tweens/teens who aren't mature enough to handle the story (which doesn't flinch from details but is not explicit in descriptions), but it can serve as a very effective platform for discussion about the social issues with more mature teens and young adults. I also appreciate the end notes with facts and how to help. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |

McCormick, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,572,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible