A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by…

A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama

by Laura Amy Schlitz

English (49)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (51)
The words from the description, lively, engaging, intriguing, are apt.  This is a lot of fun.  Terrific orphan story too.  Doesn't talk down to its juvenile audience, either.  Should be more widely known & loved.  Is it a little too long?  Are good and bad, black and white, too confusing?  I dunno.  But if you like old-fashioned stories about girls, whether historical or not, orphan or not, paranormal or not, give this a try. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is about an 11 year old orhpan at the Barbary Asylum named Maud. One day two old ladies were goind to adopt a 5 or 6 year old because there would be small.When the laidies came Maud was in the out house singing and when one of the laidies heared Maud, she knew that she had to adopt Maud. So she did. Maud was also small for her age so she wouldbe perfect for her seacret jobbut as soon (wich wasn't very soon) as Maud found out she wasn't very happy so she did some things and some thing things happend to her. I liked this book because it showed me that evn if you are small that you can do big things. I also liked this book because it was a tragic story, but whith a happy ending. ( )
  ChloeM12 | Feb 13, 2016 |
Narrated by Alma Cuervo. I put this on expecting an undersea fantasy saga (the audiobook illustration looks nothing like the book) and instead got an orphan saga that was a far better story than I expected! Maud Flynn has lived in a miserable New England orphanage when her singing attracts the attention of an old, sweet lady named Hyacinth who has come with her stern sister Judith to adopt a girl. They end up bringing Maud home with them to their other sister Victoria. Maud loves Hyacinth; she is the one sister who treats her warmly. But Maud doesn't realize she wasn't adopted out of love but out of necessity: Hyacinth heads the sisters' seance business, scamming grieving parents out of their money by "contacting" their dead children, and Maud is needed to help pull off a lucrative scam on the rich Mrs. Lambert. The characters are all intriguing and distinctive including the unpredictable Hyacinth and the deaf Muffet who is the only woman in the house who cares about Maud. We learn along with Maud the different tricks to pulling off a seance, and soon we begin to realize what Maud hasn't detected: a slow-building tension that indicates all is not as it seems with her living situation. Alma Cuervo does a fantastic job as a reader, vividly bringing all the characters to life and feeding us the story with just the right emotional pitch depending on what is going on. Just terrific! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Feisty troublemaker Maud is swept away from her sad life in an orphanage to live with three sisters. Though idyllic at first, Maud slowly becomes aware that the sisters' intentions with her are not exactly honorable. Despite living in a (somewhat ramshackle) mansion, with more clothes and food than she has ever imagined, the unpredictable behavior of charming Hyacinth leaves Maud confused. As the story unfolds, Maud discovers how the sisters make their money (dishonorably), and the role she must play to assist them.

The story is well-written and great with the atmospheric details, as is typical with Schlitz. The characters are really well-drawn, complicated and flawed in a way that is not typical in middle grade fiction. One flaw that I didn't appreciate was the treatment of deaf servant Muffet; Schlitz should have done a bit more research on deafness to avoid inaccuracy and slight offensiveness (Muffet is described as "dumb" and unable to speak, though she apparently lost her hearing at age four, when she would have had the ability to speak).

Great, well-paced book for ages 8-11. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
I picked this up at the recommendation of a co-worker when we were shelving returns a couple of weeks ago. Probably wouldn't have looked twice at it otherwise, but I really loved it. Maud was a very interesting, spunky main character. Everything around her came to life thanks to her unique perspective. She was both critical of her surroundings, while also desperate for love, which helped make her conflicted feelings and behaviors make more sense. I honestly didn't know what I was in for when I began the book, knowing nothing about it. As I continued reading though, I really loved getting to know the characters through Maud, and then changing my perspective as hers did. It was a very heartfelt, human story, and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |

A feisty orphan is taken in by a band of phony spiritualists in this intriguing, engaging novel.

Maud Flynn is known at the orphanage for her impertinence, so when the charming Miss Hyacinth and her sister choose Maud to take home with them, the girl is as baffled as anyone. It seems the sisters need Maud to help stage elaborate séances for bereaved, wealthy patrons. As Maud is drawn deeper into the deception, playing her role as a "secret child," she is torn between her need to please and her growing conscience — until a shocking betrayal makes clear just how heartless her so-called guardians are. Filled with tantalizing details of turn-of-the-century spiritualism and
page-turning suspense, this lively historical novel features a winning heroine whom readers will not soon forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

At the Barbary Asylum for Female Orphans, eleven-year-old Maud is adopted by three spinster sisters moonlighting as mediums who take her home and reveal to her the role she will play in their seances.

48 wanted1 pay2 pay

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763629308, 0763638129

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,479,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible