Busing Brewster by Richard Michelson

Busing Brewster

by Richard Michelson

Bused across town to a school in a white neigborhood of Boston in 1974, a young African American boy named Brewster describes his first day in first grade. Includes historical notes on the court-ordered busing.

While this book focusing on a very serious matter it still manages to stay positive for the audience. I believe this would be a great book to read to a class. It does a wonderful job of showing kids to stay positive through anything life throws at them and to face new things with a smile. ( )
  Sarabie | Sep 3, 2019 |
I enjoyed reading this book however it made me feel sad to reflect back on this part of our history. When reading the dates it really wasn't all that long ago that schools and public places were still segregated. I thank God for people like Miss O' Grady and who excepted people of all color and wanted them to succeed and encouraged them to try their best and believe that anything can be possible. ( )
  rabertucci | Sep 23, 2018 |
Brewster and his brother are both black. They start school at Central which used to be an all white school. There are some bad experiences at first, but Brewster makes friends with the librarian who helps him learn to read.
  helenaament | Aug 13, 2018 |
Summary:
Brewster is about to start the first grade but when he and his brother, Bryan, come home one day their mother tells them that they are going to a new school called Central. Bryan is disappointed and angry about this change because it's the all white school and the black kids are not treated well. Brewster is just excited to start first grade. When they are bused to school, they are met with white picketers outside the school and inside is no better with the white kids picking on them. When Bryan and one of the kids get in a shoving match all three kids are sent to detention in the library. Brewster is excited about all the books and says to the librarian that he wishes to learn how to read and that he wants to be president some day. The librarian tells him that his dream can come true and that someday he could be president. They return home and tell their mother that the day went fine.
Comments:
This book shared some very important lessons about racism and the history of segregated schools. I think that this a great book to use to introduce these lessons to young students. More children's books need to have people of color, this story shares with black students that they should feel equal to the other students and that their dreams can come true too. I would recommend this book to every first grade classroom. ( )
  JuliaTrinchero | Mar 17, 2017 |
This book is about the school's integrating and how Brewster deals with going to a "white" school. This book is a good example of historical fiction because it stays true to the time period when segregation and integration were happening.
  Khegge15 | Mar 13, 2017 |
For Jeff Dwyer and Elizabeth O'Grady-- My Irish agents ExtraO'ridinare. --R.M.
For Cheryl, Cassidy and Grace. --R.R.
All summer I've been playing on the school playground with Bryan.
"Mama hopes I'll be president," I say proudly. I feel stupid as soon as I say it. Even I know there's never been a Negro president.

Brewster is part of the first wave of busing that sweeps America in the 1970s. Sent to a previously all-white school, he encounters bullying but also hope for a better future in the form of an encouraging school librarian. The book includes a historical note explaining the history of busing and school segregation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,819,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible